Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Should I start studying engineering in my late 20s? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottm79

Electrical
Aug 13, 2009
US
I'm in my late twenties now, and know that I need to go back to school so that I can get a decent job in the future. I'm seriously considering studying engineering, but don't know if my age would be a hinderance when I graduate. (I'd be 33-34 by the time I finish.)

I've asked some of the schools in the area, and they all say age shouldn't be a problem...but then again, are they really going to discourage anyone from attending their university? Do you all have any opinions regarding the chances of someone in my position having a good career in engineering if I start now?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I started college after 6 years in the Navy. A BS degree took 33 months (I was motivated) so I was looking for my first real job at 27. I don't think that my advanced years hindered my entrance into the workforce. It might be harder if you've spent the time between High Scool and your epiphany on a beach in Hawaii, but even that might not matter.

David

Generally 'mature age' (a relative term at best) students do better in university than those straight out of school. Depending on your background, life experience can be beneficial to an employer, as they're likely to expect that you won't be out drinking every weekend, and are likely to be more mature than the usual sort of graduate produced these days.

I went to university straight out of school, and know a couple of people who went back to uni at a similar age. They did quite well (though the economic situation was strikingly different at the time) so I can't see it being quite such an issue for you.

That said, as you've probably noticed, university places don't directly translate to employment. In Australia, the university places do mean more funding (of sorts, without going into detail over fee paying or not) so the university people are likely to say that. However, I wouldn't necessarily get too concerned about it.

Here is how I see it.

Discover what you want to do and go do it.

You are not too old to do anything you want.

Doctor, lawyer, engineer, archeologist, ophthalmologist whatever.

Don’t set low goals. Set unrealistically high goals and don’t take no for an answer.

Choose something that pays well, live well within your means. That way you have something to work with if you do burn out after 10 or 15 years.

Understand the business model for work in the chosen field. If wide open competition exists, the competition pressure drives salaries down.

Work somewhat protected because it’s monopolistic in nature or shielded by safety regulations (pilot work) or shielded by unions or better yet by strong lobbyists will probably pay better.

The day you finish, nothing in the business technical environment will be the same way it was the day you started, so there is always some risk.

If you choose an easy but fun looking carrier, the job market soon gets flooded and salaries drop.

If where you live is really important to you, choose something that supports industries that exist in every city and state.

If school is required, it will be to expensive no mater where you go.

You cannot compare the quality of credentials from, Harvard Business School to (for example) Memphis (TN) School of Business. The later is a business school in a dead city. It’s rather like studying botany on the moon.

Likewise an Obscurity Technical Institute Bachelors of Something Like Engineering degree is too expensive and too easy to come by.

Networking is important. Play golf. Lear to be secure around supervisors and senior executives. If you’re smart, it pays to let those folks see it, just don’t over play it.

Don’t be afraid to invest in yourself. Corporate training is not oriented toward your goals, it’s oriented to corporate goals.

Good luck!

I have many older students in my classes (often called non-traditional students). Age has not hindered their ability to get jobs. You bring your education and experience to the interview table, even if your experience isn't necessarily related to engineering. I also find non-traditional students tend to be very motivated and really value their education, so I enjoy having them in my classes.

If you have thoroughly done your research, really know what you're getting yourself in for (both in the schooling aspect as well as what engineers do day-to-day), and can't imagine doing anything else, go for it!

If you think you should do it because engineering pays well and that is the main reason you're interested, you should reconsider. I've seen a lot of students who thought they wanted to be engineers because of the money. Most of them worked only a few years as engineers but ultimately left engineering because it isn't what they expected. They weren't usually very good at their jobs, either. Also, if you don't have a passion for life-long learning, you may want to choose a different field. The rapid pace of changing technology means rapid self-education is often necessary as an engineer.

One last note: don't expect engineering education to give you an accurate picture of what you'll do as an engineer. Most engineers will tell you that school is very different. I encourage my students to work as technicians/trades workers while going to school because they learn how to construct/maintain the things that engineers design. This makes them better engineers in the long run, in my opinion. Schools teach mostly theory, and many college graduate engineers find themselves in deep water after school because they know the mathematics but not how parts fit together, or can't read/create real engineering drawings, or don't know anything about codes and standards. Some swim; some sink. (By the way, I teach part-time so I can introduce students to real-world engineering design before they graduate. When students interviewing bring a real-world design package of a system that they created, drew in CAD, then built to code and tested, employers salivate.)

Best of luck!

xnuke
"Live and act within the limit of your knowledge and keep expanding it to the limit of your life." Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged.
Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

I pursued a degree in Engineering when I was in my forties. I was recruited by an international corporation half way through my senior year for a job that paid well above the average. Age is not a barrier; however, I think it is important that you differentiate yourself from your competition, fellow graduates. Things that will make you stand out after graduation might be: GPA, field of study for your senior project, expanding a skill set that builds on past work experience, etc. That way when you graduate your skill set will make you much more competitive than your younger counterpart.

I am still studying Engineering in my 60's. None of us ever stops.

Old Engineers don't die, they just stop studying.

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering

scottm--

If you have the opportunity, by all means, go for it. don't look back later and wish you'd taken the step.

If you think it's expensive now, wait'll you figure out twenty years from now what NOT going cost you.

old field guy

I would say "GO FOR IT!!!". I started college at 23, decided on engineering at 26, and graduated at 30. It was a fairly tough decision for me to decide to go to college at 24. I knew it was going to take a LONG time to finish a 4 year degree. When I was 23 and on the fence about whether to actually pursue this or not, my mother said to me, "Who cares if it takes 6 or 7 years? If you don't go to school, how old will you be in 6 or 7 years?" It was a long, hard road, but very much worth it. I went to school part time for 5 years(while working full time with a wife and kid at home) just to get the first two years out of the way. I took classes everywhere that I could - two different community colleges, and 3 different branches of the university I ended up getting my degree at before going to school full time for the last two years (and working part time).

One thing I can say for sure is that someone in your position is there because you want to be, not because you're good at math and science so this is what you should do. That makes such a difference.......... I can't even begin to tell you. It makes a difference in the way you approach schooling, particular classes, the whole reason for being in college. You also have a maturity that kids just out of high school rarely have. This shows through to your professors, and definitely to prospective employers.

I would say to you..... Who cares if you are 33-34 when you finish? How old will you be in 6-7 years if you DON'T go to school now? You'll still be 33-34, only you'll be wishing you were finishing up instead of still contemplating going.

Go for it!. I was not in a position like this but I know persons who were. And they all come out far better then they went in....end of story

[peace]
Fe

I am in my late 20's and working towards my engineering degree. Do not feel out of touch for being an older student.

Today in school it is very important for me to do well in my coursework. My first year after high school I goofed off in community college and did not take it seriously. Being more mature today I work very hard and make good grades.

I also work full time as an engineering technician, which should be good experience as a designer of things.

Graduation should come at 30 or maybe 32 years of age for me and I can't say I regret not going straight through after high school due to my lack of maturity and focus then; I never would have made it.

If engineering is what you have a passion for I sincerely encourage you to finish your studies and move onto the next step even if you are older than many other students. My university has many older students in engineering and I've seen no clash between them and the younger students.

Good Luck!

Go for it. Be one of those over eager hard working mature students that sit in the front row of every lecture, know all the profs on better than first name terms, boos the grade curve so all those lazy straight from schoolers have to do some work to get a decent grade.

Or don't go and make it easier for lazy slackers like I was.

(I exagerate, slightly)

KENAT,

Have you reminded yourself of faq731-376 recently, or taken a look at posting policies: What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Being able to have a good career isn't an issue. The issue is the amount of return on your educational investment. Typically engineering doesn't pay as well as other professions. Jumping in late hurts your return even more, to the point it may not be worth pursuing.

If you're ok with how the numbers turn out and have a passion or specific personal goals, then go for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back