Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Should I start studying engineering in my late 20s? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottm79

Electrical
Aug 13, 2009
US
I'm in my late twenties now, and know that I need to go back to school so that I can get a decent job in the future. I'm seriously considering studying engineering, but don't know if my age would be a hinderance when I graduate. (I'd be 33-34 by the time I finish.)

I've asked some of the schools in the area, and they all say age shouldn't be a problem...but then again, are they really going to discourage anyone from attending their university? Do you all have any opinions regarding the chances of someone in my position having a good career in engineering if I start now?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

accounting=adding up
engineering=differential calculus

It is rare that people are equally adept AND HAPPY at both. Do the one that interests you the most, and pursue it with enthusiasm.

Do you really believe that accounting is a dying industry? I have worked in engineering for 31 years, every single company I have worked for, except one (and that is no sure thing), has been bought out, bankrupted or merged. I'm pretty sure accountants had something to do with all that!

Cheers

Greg Locock

SIG:please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

In my experience, the accountant is there right up until they lock the doors and declare bankruptcy. The technical staff are long gone by that time.

There's no job security in anything any more. But the top 10% in any profession have the best shot. Focus on staying in the top 10% of whatever you do.

I was 30 when I graduated with an EE. It's totally worth it because what else would I do? Plus from 33 onward you'll probably have a decent career. Just be careful which direction you go. I spent my first 11 years in field engineering and now can barely find a job. I'm stuck in a job I don't like fixing stuff at the same company. Just do your research. Find out where trends are going.

I read a statistic that 1 in 8 engineering students is in their 30's. Engineering is one of the most common degrees that adults return to college for.
When do you plan on retiring? if you have to work till you are 70, thats 37 years. You'll see a good ROI.

I strongly recommend that you go for it! But do try to figure out what sort of career you want specifically before choosing an engineering major. This is the most important thing that will keep you focused on your goals.

Just as StructuralEIT put it, you are going to end up somewhere in the next 6 to 7 years anyway so go for it!

Studying engineering is not an easy fit though, takes serious hard work and beware most engineering textbooks are poorly written and incredibly boring.

Also select courses that are most relevant towards the career you are headed towards.

I had many courses that were thought by professors who went straight into academia and research work out of university and worked us up the wall with the most complicated things that you might not even see outside of the research field and I personally did not like it because I had not intention of working in a research lab.

Oh yes, taking up a part time trade that is related to your engineering studies will help you a lot in becoming an engineer.

Age is not a factor in being an engineer.The real issue here in my mind is whether or not there is a future in this gutted profession in the USA.

It used to be that when 1 industry went down,others picked up and you re-tooled yourself to the new business. That is not happening.

With an upsurge in regulation,taxes, and the like, it is doubtful that the USA will pull out of this in less than decade (if ever).

The truth is that engineering curricula are very watered down and simply don't prepare you for work in the real world.Ideally,you should be working in an engineering environment while you go to school.Better than that, you need a Master's Degree in your field.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back