Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Should I take this job offer? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

bradpa77

Mechanical
Feb 23, 2006
US
So, I've been pretty unhappy at my current job for a while. I've been on the prowl for something better and I just got an offer for something new the other day. I'm a mechanical engineer and my main complaint with my current job is that I basically do the same FEA analysis day in and day out. This new job is at a consulting firm and the interviewer basically told me that you never know what will end up on your desk. It sounds like it will have a lot of variety and give me a lot of chances to learn and grow in my profession.

Here's the bad part. The position requires a lot of travel. On top of that, I am expecting my first child in August. Which is great news. The offer says that I could expect 1-2 trips per month average with each trip lasting about 2-3 days each. That's a lot of travel for me. I don't travel at all in my current job. I don't want to leave my family alone for that much time. I'm just nervous it will cause too much tension between me and my wife and I will want to see my new kid and be there for him/her as much as I can in the early years.

Of course the new job comes with a very significant raise so that would help. Plus, surprisingly this new job seems more stable than my current job. They are starting to outsource my FEA work to India at my current position and they just announced a hiring freeze here. So not only am I scared of getting the boot but that kind of kills my hopes of an internal job posting coming up that would allow me to move within the company. This new place does a lot of consulting for nuclear power plants and it seems like that industry is booming regardless of the economy. I even asked at the interview about how the economy has effected their business and he said that it wasn't even an issue. They are growing so fast that they can't seem to fill spots fast enough.

Considering the economy, job openings like this are going to be hard to come by. So what the heck do I do? I'm torn here. There are many positives to switching but there is one big negative ... the travel. I don't know what to do.

Anyone have any wisdom or advice?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

1 or 2 trips or 2 or 3 days each per month aint nothing.

If you think 6 days a month away will cause stress what will being home all day every day do when the fire you after moving your position to India?

Well... travel might keep you away for a bit more than you're used to (it doesn't sound too bad, but with a hiring clause like that, you never know. Could be more could be less). Specially if you're going to be a new dad. But job security might be a little more important, since there is going to be another mouth to feed (and it will be expensive, trust me. I just got out of the diaper stage..... FINALLY!!!).
Talk to the wife, evaluate and choose. You said you're not happy where you're are at anyway.

<<A good friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend
will be sitting beside you saying ” Damn that was fun!” - Unknown>>

See if they'll let you do less travel the first couple of months after the baby is born. (I'm assuming several weeks of parental leave for you at that time might be out of the question for a new employee, especially in "these trying times".)

Hg

Eng-Tips policies: faq731-376

I am not sure anyone on here can give you any meaningful advice, at the end of the day you seem to know all the plusses and minuses.

Only you can decide if a more interesting and better paid job is worth more than time spent with your family, it is a totally personal thing.

Agree with most above - 1 or 2 trips per month lasting 2-3 days usually is no big deal. Your wife might be happy to see you gone once in a while - mine does. She goes out w/ the girlfriends. Having kids is a big respsonsibility - not only in time but in dollars. A more stable job with more bucks goes to that idea.... Kids are resilient.... Bring them a small gift each time you return and they will wish you were gone all the time. Besides - wife will miake dinners like pancakes and sausage... a real trip for kids.

Get them to promise that for the first three months after the birth - you won't have to travel - you owe that to your wife. Then go for it.

You will learn a lot and your family will most likely benefit!!

Only you and your wife can decide on how much travel is acceptable. You can expect some months to be more then that and some to be less. Don't be surprised if a week long trip comes up or two or three weeks in a row with trips. That is the nature of business travel.

In my case, that amount of travel would be ideal, enough to get away once in awhile, but not too much. I can't stand being in the office all the time (I used to travel about 95%) and love to get out to customer sites. It also is a way to quickly advance in your career since you will become more valuable then someone without the customer contact.

If you do decide to take the job, make sure you take the time to do something with your wife as well, and don't say you are too tired from the travel to go out with her without wearing body armor!

Yes, in this kind of economy, I can understand how important job security is. Talk to your wife and see what she says. The trips really aren't that long, 1-2 trips for 2-3 days per month is really not a lot of travel. Just make sure you get something in writing that they're going to hire you at the new job after you quit your old one. You don't want to end up in limbo after the company goes, "We hired someone else."

"Get them to promise that for the first three months after the birth - you won't have to travel - you owe that to your wife. Then go for it." -- AGREED

IF you enjoy your new job, you will be in a better mood and there might be less stress at home.

bradpa77
Take the new job.
Get two lap tops (one for home and one to take on the road) with video cameras so you can stay in touch with home when away.

Good luck!

bradpa77,

First off, congrats on the baby on the way (and the new offer). Your concerns over missing the development of your child show you've got things in perspective.

Have you approached the new company with any of your concerns? If not, you should. You've got this new job offer, now you need to negotiate a deal that is in everyone's best interests. Having been in a situation similar to yours (desperately wanting out of current job for something else), I know it is tempting to jump at the first thing that comes along because anything has to be better. You would do well to remember that you bring something to the table that they obviously want, otherwise there would be no offer to consider. All too often, IMO, job seekers lose sight of the fact that they have bargaining power when the offer finally happens, particularly if the search has taken a while.

Obviously you've got to proceed with a bit of caution so as not to scare off the potential employer, but if the new firm wants you (and is reasonable) they will listen to your concerns. This company has spent valuable resources to fill an opening and they won't want their efforts wasted by hiring someone who becomes unhappy and leaves shortly thereafter.

Based on personal experience, in an "unhappy" work environment, I was bringing home job stress that I didn't even realize. I did take another job, that had a two hr/day commute vs 30 min/day, for a little more money but the stress level dropped to almost nothing. Only after I had settled in for awhile did my wife share with me how "tense" I had been Before. With nothing to compare it to, as I had this job when we met, it made a world of difference. Just my experience.

To be safe, might not want to travel in July either! Don't first babies have a habit of showing up early?

Hg

Eng-Tips policies: faq731-376

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I don't have time to respond to all of you but there were some really good points made. I appreciate the input a lot.

If your wife is relatively independent and resourceful, take the job. If your wife needs you by her side at all times or if she is somewhat shy or reclusive, pass on the job offer.

Well I decided to pass on the job opportunity. There's just too much risk of a lot of travel. Thanks for the help everyone. It was a big help in making my final decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back