Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Showing Part Family Table in Master Model Drawing

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjcole

Mechanical
Jan 8, 2003
US
Hello All,

I've been wondering if it's possible to import a part family table in drafting that is linked to the Family Table in the Part Model. I know it's possible to do this in drafting but so far I've only seen it work where the part and drawing are in the same file, which goes against the Master Model Concept. I'm wondering why UG suggests using the Master Model Technique but makes it nearly impossible to use it with the new Drafting Functionality in NX.

Someone I work with said you have to use visual basic to link the spreadsheets in UG. Is there any way to get the part file to show up in the box that appears in the Import Spreadsheet -> Family Table Dialog?

I'd appreciate your input.

Thank you,
Michael
[bugeyed]

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am interested in this also. I was trying to use the tabular note function in a drawing to add a part family table but could not link to the part family model to import the table info from the part family spreadsheet.

Hi Mike,

It's been quite a while, but I believe you can use interpart expressions. If I recall correctly, you have to open the UG spreadsheet & link the cell to whatever expression desired from the other CAD file.

If I recall correctly to, this or can be a very time consuming process because you will need to switch back & forth between the two CAD files & kee verifying that you are linking the right expressions. In addition, you may also have format issues - For example, How many '0's' do you want to see after your decimal point? I've done this for small tables, but even for small tables, it ends up being more trouble than it's worth....

Hope this helps.....

Jason Misztal
Power Tool CAD Designer
Marquardt Switches Inc.
Syracuse, NY

To get the job done i just created the table and linked expressions and attributes in each cell. It was just a small table this time. I don't think that I'm doing anything wrong, just think the tabular note function is broken. I'm using NX2 maybe it is something that was fixed in NX3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back