Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Shrink Fits/Freezing 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

swall

Materials
Sep 30, 2003
US
I've heard of people using a CO2 fire extinguisher to chill parts for shrink fits. My question, is does anyone make a CO2 system specifically designed for this?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Oops, I should have mentioned that I don't have dry ice available in my area. I may be able to get LN2 from my welding supplier, though.

Why can't you just get co2 from the oxy supply? Also I believe I saw someplace that you can buy a little thing to hook up to your co2 tank and make dry ice.

Ben Englund

Yes, I have been looking for a device to hook up to a CO2 tank. Haven't found one yet. That's why I brought up the fire extinguisher comment in my original post. Might work in a similar manner.

Thanks Unclesyd. I had started looking for the pipe freezers per your earlier post, but all I came across were the LN2 type. This little CO2 oufit sounds like just the ticket, if not too expensive.

If you want a co2 tank to dispense liquid, get one with a siphon tube inside. We have one for filling painball gun tanks with. We get it from a welders supply.

Ben Englund

Yeh, while you guys are on the subject of dry ice the next time any of you are in a hail storm do this: buy some dry ice, cover the infected area of the car with the ice, then cover it with a insulating blanket, then wait for a sound that sounds like pop-corn poping. When you don't hear the sound anymore remove the balnket and let the dry ice disperse. You probably only have to rub out your paint job. I have used this sysytem several times in the past and it works well. ON the pipe I have even used freon to shrink the pipe.

Very interesting.My Mustang received a hail demolition job several years ago and most of it was fixed the old fashioned way--replacing the sheet metal.

Yes, that's what I've been doing, surfdog. And, when I take the parts out of the freezer, I put them into an acetone soaked shop rag for about 5 minutes for more cooling. But, I would like to get a chilling system faster than overnight in the freezer. I have literature and pricing coming from the liquid CO2 chiller people.

Know this sounds to ez but I worked in a model shop which required something similiar. Could not find a source for dry ice till I called the local ice cream shop. Not terribly expensive and they always had a ready supply.

Try mcmastercarr.com. They carry the pipe freezing kits. As for the "freezer" method. Remember it is the change in temperature that causes the shrinkage/expansion. Freezers are only 32° F. That is only a change of 40°.

Yes, I did manage to find a liquid CO2 freerzing system. But, the price was not to my liking. Will pursue the ice cream shop source or possibility the Swann's ice cream delivery people.

We use dry ice for sweat fits on paper converting roll journal replacements. I purchased a small dry ice maker that uses liquid CO2 from a "dip tube" cylinder. You can get this type cylinder from your local welding gas supplier. The machine is an Insta-Ice mdl. 485 mfg. by PolyFoam Packers div. Tuscarora in Wheeling IL. 60090. It makes approx 4-5 standard house brick size blocks of dry ice per dip tube.

A hint, to get full coverage around your parts place them in a styrofoam coller and submerge them and the dry ice in kerosene.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back