Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SidePlate momenent connections

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

AISC 358 does include two proprietary connections Conxtech and Kaiser. I remember many years ago when the SidePlate connection appeared at the AISC Steel Conference (now the NASCC). At the time they were advertised as the "most extensively tested connection in history". Today, I don't know why this extensive research did not extend to the requirements of AISC prequalification. I have worked on only two projects that used the SidePlate connection. One was a retrofit project of a structure in California. And the other new construction project was also in California. All of the connection information was provided by SidePlate, therefore I was not asked to review the concepts or design information. They do appear to be very expensive to fabricate and erect.

Providing fabrication and erection efficient structural design of connections. Consulting services for structural welding and bolting.

This is pure speculation. But, the other proprietary connections are ones where the engineer can design the connections, but they must purchase specific hardware from the vendor to construct it. That way, the vendor automatically gets their cut.

Side plate connections, I believe, are different. In order for that company to make any money off of their proprietary connnection you have to go through them for design. Therefore, it would not make sense for them to publish a standardized design procedure in AISC 358. If they did, then how would they ever make money off of these connections?

There are dozens of structural engineers who have used SidePlate on hundreds of projects nationwide, especially since the big economic breakthrough that occured about 4 years ago. I am one of those engineers and could help answer some of your questions. Here is my cell: 714-308-8538.

Regarding AISC 358, I heard that SidePlate will be included in the next supplement this summer. Since SidePlate has been prequalified by ICC (old ICBO), there probably was no rush to get AISC 358. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back