Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Siemens UGS NX v6.0.0 - Not a part file 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

engnewbie2000

Aerospace
Mar 15, 2010
GB
Hi All,

Please forgive me if this is a foolish question. I need to view a part and its annotation which was originally created in NX Ideas.

I am trying to open this through UGS NX 6, which I purchased. When trying this it throws up an error saying it's not a part file :S. But I have opened this file in adobe 3d reviewer and it opens fine.

Are .prt files different from nx ideas to UGS Nx, whats the difference in software?

Ive got a feeling I've purchased the wrong thing. Can anyone give me abit of an insight on this?

Many thanks.

Noob.

P.S - I have attached the messages that are appearing.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi

This is 2 different programs from SIEMENS so you won't be able to open this file in UGS NX6.

You must export it from I-deas as an XPK-file to be able to open it in NX6.

Regard

If you are an Ideas customer who is transitioning to NX there is a process to follow so that you can migrate your data without losing any of the original design intent and content, including geometric model, features, assemblies, drawings, etc. All of these can be migrated over to NX with little or no loss of your original designs. However, it is a process which must be followed in a strict order. My suggestion is that you contact whomever you purchased NX 6.0 from, be it your local Siemens PLM office or a distributor and ask for assistance.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Hi MND71,

I have now had the file exported as an XPK-file, and have imported it into NX6, and can see the part. Although I am very new to this software, and the help manual seems quite technical. All I want to do is view annotations such as tolerences and version issue numbers etc. How do you do this? Hope you can help.

Thanks Again.

Dimensioning and annotations are very similar to most other CAD systems.

1. Go into Drafting
Start (pull-down) > All Applications > Drafting

2. To add notes and dimensions:
You can add your drafting toolbars or go into the pull-downs for dimensioning and annotations, below is the pull-downs instructions:
Insert (pull-down) > Dimension (for dimensions)
Insert > Note > expand "text input" > text will appear on the drawing as you type it (for notes)

3. To add tolerances to a dimension
RMC (right mouse click) on the dimension > Style > "Dimension" tab > located under "Milimeters" and "Inch" you will see a pull down, expand that and you will see the tolerance types > then add the values to the right of that

Where do to versions issue numbers show up? In the title block?

Hi,

Thanks for your quick respinse. All I can see when I import the XPK file I have is the part, and could not see any of the annotations etc.

If I:

Go into Drafting
Start (pull-down) > All Applications > Drafting

Will this show annotations for the current part that is on screen? I am very new to this software. Also what would be the best way to export the file with such things as annotations etc?

Many Thanks.

If you wish to transition the Drawing as well as the Model to NX you will need to follow the FULL migration process. Moving only the model will not bring in any of the drawing information. You need to contact either GTAC or your local Siemens office for assistance.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back