Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Silicone Rubber that Withstands Caviwipes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mandrill22

Mechanical
Jul 30, 2010
US
Is there a silicone rubber, or something similar, that can stand up to Caviwipes (active ingredients Isopropanol (17.2%) and Ammomium Chloride)?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hmm. Looked in the usual places, and this is the only post I found, so will assume the moderators trimmed any others?

Silicones as a class should not be bothered by isopropanol, but may struggle with ammonium chloride. But most/all silicones are relatively soft, and will get abraded pretty easily by a fabric wipe. What form is your silicone (tube, sheet, gasket, membrane...?) and what are you using it for (liquid or gas seal, permeable membrane, dynamic (shaft or linear?) seal, bladder...)? There are other rubber products that can readily withstand that chemical mix (EPDM is first choice), and hold up better to the mechanical abrasion.

You need to figure out if the issue is abrasion or chemicals.
While Silcones can handle high temp they are not abrasion resistant, and they are sensitive to many solvents and chemicals.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

Any special requirements? Food grade
Or is this just a handle that must be sanitized frequently?

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

I'm a little concerned about wear and tear, which could be a problem over the length of the product, and if we dipped it, we would have to dip it again any time it wore down, versus designing a grip that could be slipped onto the handle and snap into a groove if it wears down. I could cycle test the handle and it might hold up just fine. I just don't know.

" It will be providing grip on a handle."

Yeah, not a good choice. Silicones are soft, and the ipa makes it temporarily softer; so you have fabric abrasion plus abrasion due to normal use. You could look for a harder durometer, or specify an alk-oxy cure, maybe a few other tricks - if you have a supplier who is knowledgable about the material chemistry, but your choices are pretty limited (you don't see silicone tires for good reason). Or switch to a more durable material. Does the part need to be autoclavable? If not, make if from solid polyethylene?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back