Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Silt Fences/Curtains at riverside site - Peaty ground 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

egildea

Structural
Aug 16, 2005
GB
Hi All, Just wondering if anyone has any experience with Silt Curtains? I have a Windfarm development at planning stage. My environmental consultant has recommended the engineer prepare a construction methodology incorporating triple silt fence/curtains at the source of the siltation (at road and turbine footprint areas), with a methodology that would allow for accumulated silt removal without silt entering the stream leading to the River, and additional silt trapping along the pathway (i.e. at the stream) to catch any silt that could travel due to malfunction of any silt sheet, and where the current road could act as a conduit for silt movement, it should also be silt
fenced/curtained. The success of the mitigation measures should be measured at the receptor site (the River) by placing a turbidity meter upstream and downstream of the construction area of influence.
Has anybody any experience of such systems and possibly forward me links or help me out?? Im at a standstill at the minute!!!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you are in the USA, check first with the state environmental protection department. Many have rules and regulations that you have to follow if your area is larger than their minimum jurisdiction. They may well have guidelines for doing just what you are looking for and at no cost. You may have to get a permit for your work also.

Many thanks oldestguy. I am in Ireland and the EPA here is a bit of a mess. If I was in forestation and taking forestry machinery through my site, given its acreage, I would not even need to submit an assessment and proposal for Fresh Water Pearl Mussel protection, even though the impact would more likely be much much greater than what we are proposing for a Wind Farm. It seems that someones thesis and personal mission regarding the mussel has been adopted as a national strategy. Unfortunately it's hard to argue against these environMENTALISTS!!!!! There is a "strategy for protection" document given by the EPA for my river, but it is too vague to help unfortunately. Nothing specific to silt curtain construction etc. I have however sources a few Irish companies that supply silt tanks and may be of use. Thanks, Eoin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back