Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Simple beam bending FEM vs. theory comparison error 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcsingh723

Aerospace
Jul 28, 2008
US
I am having some trouble getting accurate values for max. stress and max. deflection for an FEM model of a simply supported I-beam in bending. I am using I-DEAS 12 NX to solve the model. I'm pretty new to finite element analysis as a whole, but I know that getting any more than 10% error (relative to Euler beam theory) in max deflection or stress for a 60x10x8 in. should not happen. Strangely enough, using the same boundary conditions and meshing techniques for a 60x10x8 in. rectangular solid, I find the results I was expecting. Here are some more details:

-For each geometry, there are 3 models. One uses beam elements, one uses solid (hexa) elements, and one uses shell (quad) elements.

-The boundary conditions (pin on one side, roller on the other) are applied to the mesh, using constraint elements on each face, with the node in the middle of the face being the independent node (where the b.c.'s are applied). Similarly, the applied force of 1000 lbs was modeled as a series of point forces applied along the neutral axis of the beam at its center.

-As for mesh density, I modeled the rectangular prism using an element size of about 2.5 in x 2.5 in x 2 in for the hex elements, just to give an idea. The I-beam model required a finer mesh for model "convergence" (there seem to be singularities at the b.c.'s and loads for the I-beam, regardless), so we're talking element sizes of about 1 in x .5 in x .5 in.

Any thoughts on what I (or possibly I-DEAS) is doing wrong? I'm thinking Saint-Venant's principle, but the magnitude of the max stress error and max deflection error in the I-beam model is much bigger than the errors in the rectangular prism.

Hope this wasn't too ridiculous to read.

Thanks,

Raymond C. Singh

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Alright, well, I got it to work in NASTRAN. I was wondering, though, what do these parameters correspond to in I-DEAS 12? I checked the help library, as well as the Physical Properties icon under Meshing. I don't know where else it could be, though I know I've seen it somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back