Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Simulate conrete slabs connected by a spring

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThetaWave

Civil/Environmental
Sep 21, 2015
BG
Hi everyone,
I'm modelling a concrete slab in Ansys with dimensions 19.60m by 4.5m and 0.12m thick.
I'm using SOLID65 as material.

Now what I'm trying to do is simulate a new layer of concrete on top of the existing slab. I would like to have the new layer of concrete (0.06m thick) connected to the existing slab using a COMBIN39 spring.
The problem is that I'm having a hard time linking the new concrete layer to the existing slab. I'm doing all of the work in the APDL module.
I would like to ask you a few questions :
1. What should be the distance between the slab and new concrete layer for the simulation to work ?
2. Any tips on how to connect the concrete slab to the new layer, ansys gives awkward error messages when I try to select 2 nodes to connect the spring to ?
3. I've meshed the solids that I'm using to model the slab and the new layer on top of it. Is there a quick way create spring connections between all nodes (supposedly the spring element can connect only two nodes and I have a lot of nodes because of the meshing so I would like to simulate the spring connection for multiple nodes not just one) ?

Thank you in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Unfortunately my skill on using ANSYS mechanical APDL is too limited. In Workbench, I suppose you could use the "elastic support" provided that you are not interested in knowing the slab's behavior.
I'd like to take this opportunity to ask if you have any material, tutorial, book about APDL language to suggest or share it.

Thank you.

I predominantly used ansys help for this.
I also used some other books but they are in Russian, and I am not sure whether they will be of any help to you.
In workbench creating contact pair should be even easier then in APDL, since you will just graphically pick the faces you are interested in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back