Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Simultaneous 4kV Motor Failures 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

joepower

Electrical
Jan 30, 2003
US
We experienced the simultaneous failures of two 4kV fan motors on a high resistance grounded system. They were on the same switchgear bus, a 6000 HP fan (located outside) and a 600 HP fan (inside) – both less than 300 feet from the bus. The 6000 HP fan has surge protection at its terminals – the only other surge protection is on high side of main transformer. Our control system shows the loss of the 6000 HP fan one second before the 600 HP fan, however, the points have a 0.5 second scan time and it is too close to call if that is real or not. The 6000 HP fan went on instantaneous at 8920 A (740 FLA) and one end coil was visibly blown out, and the 600 HP fan on time overcurrent at 1160 A (76 FLA). No abnormal weather or operating conditions. A similar situation occurred previously wherer we got a 2-fer in failures. Any ideas?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Awesome input. I should be at the motor repair shop tomorrow to get the full report on the nature of the failures. I'll post some of the digital pictures to my website as soon as I get them.

Can you tell us a little better what we're looking at?

Can we see bare copper? Evidence of melting => turn-to-turn fault?

Was it found this way or pulled apart for inspection?

Is this the connection end. I think I can see jumpers attached on the outer edge just out of view, but not sure. Does it look like perhaps the fault started at the point where the jumper enters the knuckle? That "scarf joint" in taping is a natural weak point.

Or does it look like it started closer to the slot where there might have been ground fault. I'm guessing not.

One more question, surely not related to the failure: are those rub marks that we see on the stator bore? Surely not since the pattern is so regular. What is it?

Conductors blown apart make me think of currents flowing in opposite directions. One scenario is turn to turn fault. Current induced in the shorted turn is opposite direction from other turn currents and can be very high magnitude.

Gentlemen (oops, and ladies if present):

When you discuss continuity of production or "production safe" you are, of course, using the same convoluted logic used in ungrounded LV systems. Additionally, even though you are generalizing, hopefully you are limiting such systems to "unclassified area" installations!

Suggestion to the first link showing the motor winding damage. It appears to be a turn-to-turn short as stated in the above electricpete posting; however, the root cause analysis may or may not be very conclusive for one cause because of the surge protection, age of motor winding, power supply quality, etc. factors.

The multiple electrical failures in the 6000 HP motor were generally "in the slot", or phase to ground rather than phase to phase. The rub marks seen in the photo are interpreted by the rewind shop to be wear marks from an abrasive dust environment, although I still need some convinving. Both motors did have heavy crud buildup which probably didn't help their temperature any. And for those fans of "almost in time" maintenance, the 6000 HP was scheduled to be sent out for refurbishment 4 days after the failure. The probability is high that I have a set of 30-year old motors that have seen some hard times and are at the end of their insulation life and some relatively minor item could trigger the failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back