Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Single Angle design aids (ASD) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeremiahcole

Structural
Jan 6, 2003
US
Is anyone aware of Single angle design aids for ASD, perhaps a spreadsheet, tabulated values, etc? I am not convinced the allowable bending stress values I am coming up with are correct, they seem to high. I am calculating according to "specification for allowable stress design of single-angle members" in the back of the green book.

Thanks!!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Try "Safe Load for Laterally Unsupported Angles" by Leigh, Thomas & Lay, AISC Engineering Journal, First Quarter 1984. Load tables are in accordance with the Australian Institute of Steel Construction, but will provide a quick check for your calculations.

The U.S. AISC introduction to the article states that "a convenient rule of thumb... is to simply use an allowable bending stress, Fb=0.6Fy, with appropriate serviceability deflection limits." Thus, design will be governed by deflection rather than buckling.

Taro thanks for the answer, looked it up and it is exactly what I needed. As suspected my values (based on what is in the back of the green book) are too high. Not sure why the discrepancy, but I'm going to work on this awhile to figure it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back