Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Single phase 1/2 hp motor Class I Div II Groups B, C, D 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gronk2003

Electrical
Aug 18, 2003
CA
We currently have a issue with a motor driving a fan heater. these heaters are used for temporary hoardings, building etc. the problem is the motor on the fan is not rated for the area, Class I Div II Group B, C, D.
We are finding it very difficault to find a motor to replace this one with the proper temp rating.
My question is,
Are there single phase, 1/2 hp, 56C frame, 1800rpm motors out there?
Is there anything that can be done to cerify a non Class I Div II motor for a Class I Div II area? Temp rating would need to be T3C (280C)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You won't find a Division 2 motor period. Most three phase motors are suitable. Most single phase motors will need to be explosionproof. See NEC Section 501.125(B)

rbalex beat me to it. Go with the 3-phase version I'd bet, as a Group B explosionproof motor will be tough to find.

Good on ya,

Goober Dave

DickDV,

Maybe you missed the OP's "Div 2." Dive 2 means you have a lot of freedom with things that don't arc, spark, or get really hot in normal service -- see the NEC article that rbalex cited.

There are also lots of explosionproof and intrinsically safe things that are good for Group B Div 1. Group A is the tough one to find equipment for -- generally it's intrinsically safe only.

Good on ya,

Goober Dave

Electrical equipment is permitted in all Groups including A; even in Division 1 and it doen't necessarily have to be intrinsically safe. Explosionproof equipment for Group A is indeed quite rare and expensive, but nevertheless available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back