Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Single phase to ground fault calculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

redox

Electrical
Nov 6, 2002
ZA
I am doing a three phase and a single phase to ground fault calculation on the secondary side of a transformer. But the answers I obtain from my software-program and the answers from my hand-calculations (invinite bus) are not the same - somewhere I am doing something wrong.

Trsf data:

Rating - 2MVA
Primary - 11kV
Secondary - 400V
%X - 6.56%
Dyn11 - secondary solidly grounded
Fault each time on the secondary bushings.

The three phase fault calculation is no problem, the hand-calcs and the software-calcs are almost the same:
Hand - 44kA
Software - 43kA

My problem is on the single phase to ground fault scenario.

With the software I obtain 56kA - This is way higher than the three-phase fault?
With hand calculations, asuming the positive, negative and zero sequence impedances are the same, I obtain 14.7kA?

Thanks for any help

Regards
R

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

redox- I think you calculated Io, the zero sequence current for a phase to ground fault. I got the same answer, 14.7 kA for Io.

But the actual fault current on a single phase to ground fault is 3Io = 3 x 14.7 = 44 kA.

The difference in our quickie hand calcs (I used the MVA method) and your program is probably due to how the program treats the transformer zero sequence impedance. A ground fault at a delta-wye transformer will usually be larger than the three phase since the high voltage system zero sequence impedance is not in the circuit.

Search the site, there are a lot of threads on this subject.

Good Luck, Bob W.

Which Software did you use? I suggest you to check the data input on transformer page if you use ETAP.Usually the hand calculation result should be very close to Software calculation result. I will check with my software tomorrow to see if there is anythng wrong.

Thanks for both of you.

The intention of my hand-calculations is to ensure the software calculations are correct. Kind of a double-check or a check-up.

Literature indicate:
Ia1 = Ia2 = Iao = Ea / (Z1 +Z2+ Zo)

Do I have to add the three together?
Ia1 + Ia2 + Iao = Ifault

And what will the actual fault-current be in the faulted phase?

Io or 3Io?

Thanks.

NS:
I am using Digsilent.

jghrist:

No motor contributions. See it as a transformer feeding a bus, with the incomer to the bus open. Thus, just the transformer energized.

Now I understand that that the fault-current would be 3Io, but why are the software-calculated current so much higher than the hand-calculated current? Ain't the hand-calculations more conservative?

Jcrist post "Actual fault in the faulted phase is 3Io."
J
I agree with with you answer but why is it 3 times Io?
Also if the is a grounding resistor in the system it is
3 times Zg.

1. It is 3·Io because I1=I2=Io and Ia=I1+I2+Io.

2. OP shows secondary solidly grounded.

3. The program may be assuming a core form transformer with Zo=0.36·Z1. This seems awfully low. Westinghouse T&D Manual indicates a typical Zo/Z1 ratio of 0.85 for core form transformers. Three single phase or shell form three phase transformers would have Zo=Z1.

Redox,

Sorry for the late response. I was swamped at work during the weekdays.

I did calc. by ETAP and by hands and got the same results, which are 44kA(3phase, L-G). I was assuming that you input a lower zero sequence impedance for the transformer. Check your inputs and do it again. the sooftware can't be wrong. Only your inputs can make a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back