Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sketch geometry disappears in on screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevefrank

Mechanical
Dec 20, 2005
US
Still using an older version of solidworks. Today, for no apparent reason, all sketch geometry and dimensions become invisible once it is created. It only becomes visible when I place my mouse pointer close to a sketch entity or once I somehow manage to extrude the geometry. I cannot find where I must have SOMETHING turned off that is required to view sketches. Any ideas?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

That problem is usually indicative of a non-SW-certified video card &/or driver.
Sometimes the Windows update can change a driver without notification, especially if you have it set to automatic.

What is your;
Operating system?
Version of SW & SP?
Video Card & driver?

MERRY CHRISTMAS
(Unabashedly Politically Incorrect)

Where might I find info on whether or not my video card is solidworks certified? This is a brand new Pentium 4 computer and I'm running Solidworks 2001. Everything worked fine for the first few days, then all of a sudden...

SW2001?
If you can, there are a lot of benefits upgrading to 2006.
The bug you have may be one of them, and/or it's the card as the others wrote.

Chris
Systems Analyst
SolidWorks/PDMWorks 05
AutoCAD 05
ctopher's home site (updated 06-21-05)
FAQ559-1100
FAQ559-716

I have had my models completely disappear, and not able to see them at all when I have a mate error in 2006...Never happened until we "upgraded" to 2006...Seriuos pain in the @#$!%

Both of you list your specs then we can help further.

I say this every time a new version comes out, because it's true for every version:

Just because it was ok in SW05, doesn't mean anything, because SW06 is much more demanding then SW05 was and if your hardware is not support or the drivers being used, then that would cause instability.

It could be the way you installed the application as well. If you did an upgrade instead of a new install, then that's a problem right there. If you had your AV on when installing another issue right there. If you open files over a network, that could be the issue right there.

I don't feel people can just start complaining about crashing, if you don't list your specs and the processes you did to install SW. Because 95% of it's most likely the case... but that just how I feel about it.

Running a search through this NG forum and on the web would most likely turn up many FAQ's and tips and tricks - like above.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
faq731-376

If your're running XP, SolidWorks 2001 isn't even supported at all.

XP support started with SW2001+ SP5.

XP-SP2 support didn't start until SW2004 SP5 & SW2005 SP1.

Only AFTER these levels, would you bother to look at the graphics card and driver issues. Otherwise you're wasting your time.

Remember...
[navy]"If you don't use your head,[/navy] [idea]
[navy]your going to have to use your feet."[/navy]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back