Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sketch Pattern not working properly

Status
Not open for further replies.

captaincaveman747

Mechanical
Sep 15, 2003
CA
I have an assembly with a stack of 3 layers.
top layer-pattern of extrusions
middle layer-pattern of extrusions
bottom layer-1/4" base plate

The top layer has a pattern of countersunk features 50locs. using the hole wizard.
The middle layer I want to add the threaded holes that will match up with the countersunk holes. I lay my single threaded hole into the middle layer and set the feature scope so I am excluding the bottom layer. The bottom layer should not have any holes in it. :Life is good so far.
I then add a sketch driven pattern and use the countersunk hole sketch to drive the threaded holes, but it plants all of the threaded holes through both of the middle and bottom layers.
Any suggestions?

Captain Caveman
Almex Industries,Parry Sound ON.Canada\
SW2007,SP 0.0
Intel P4 3.0 Ghz,Quadro FX500,1 Gig Ram

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The top and middle layer are of the same component, just staggered joint.The layer consists of 1 - 1/2"x4" extrusion that has been linear patterned to create layer width of 80"

Middle layer is the same.
Bottom layer is one solid plate.

Captain Caveman
SW2007,SP 2.0

If you have parts in an assembly and are adding holes to each one why don't you use a Hole series at the assembly level? That will allow the parts to have holes in them, even if its added at the assembly level.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
faq731-376

I think he is using the Hole Series, but is trying to use it for only one layer ... which it is not intended for.

Either use the Hole Series for the Top AND middle layer or just use the normal Edit Part and Hole Wizard function for a single layer.

[cheers]

I would use the Edit Part and Hole Wizard as CBL suggested. Will reduse errors for most users.
If you want the holes to go through all parts, then use at the assy level.

Chris
SolidWorks 06 4.1/PDMWorks 06
AutoCAD 06
ctopher's home (updated 10-27-06)

I have not used the hole series function before, but on reading in the help file it said it is not intended for multiple instances.
SW paste:You cannot use hole series on assembly components which are multiple instances of the same part, unless each instance is a separate configuration of the part
I do not want to put the holes in the part as the part is raw mat. used in other assemblies. I should be able to place the holes in the assembly as in manufacturing means.

Tried a linear pattern of the threaded hole and it cut thru the bottom layer as well. The only thing I can see is to add coincident points at every loc. Hope I do not have to do this.

Captain Caveman
SW2007,SP 2.0

Update: I tried the hole series function but it gave me an error concerning multiple instance.
Anyways I ended up creating the tapped holes by putting all of the locations in with the driving sketch. More or less I resketched the countersunk features' sketch.
The part that is confusing is that this model is a resized takeover of a similar assembly that was built with SW2006 and the feature tree in the initial model showed the exact same thing that I had, but it seemed to work properly, but not in 2007.

Captain Caveman
SW2007,SP 2.0

It can't be used with multiple instances thats true. CBL was saying "I think he is using the Hole Series, but is trying to use it for only one layer... which it is not intended for."

He is right in the fact its not used for one layer, however I believe it can be and if you have more then one layer but don't want the hole series to exist there you can suppress it.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
faq731-376

Thanks for the reply Scott. Sounds like the Hole Series function could be a valuable tool. I will try to mess around with it when I get a lighter workload.(Yea right!)Too busy right now to tinker but will give it a go in 8weeks or so when things start to slow down.

Captain Caveman
SW2007,SP 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back