Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sketch relations unavailable 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dullbit

Industrial
Sep 13, 2011
EE
Hi, I'm trying to create two almost identical sketches on intersecting planes and I'd like to add a lot of equal length relations, but sometimes the relation options don't show up in the PropertyManager. I've attached an example of the problem. Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?. I know I could link dimensions instead but relations would be much more convenient.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What happens if you hit the sketch relations icon? Do they allow you to add them then? They don't always automatically assume you want to add relations between the pre-selected entities. Not sure what the criteria is... I've just noticed (like you) that sometimes they don't appear in property manager until I actually click on the add sketch relations icon.

-Dustin
Professional Engineer
Pretty good with SolidWorks

I've seen the same as ShaggyPE. Sometimes if you delete a certain entity or relationship (usually the last thing created before the add relations interface stops popping up) then the add relations begins acting normal. I use the same work around that ShaggyPE mentioned.

Seems like a bug to me.

If you use a 3D sketch, it'll work. You can insert a sketch plane into your 3d sketch, coincident to the plane you're trying to work on, to make sketching easier and more like working with a 2D sketch.

Sometimes when I'm trying to create a relation to an item (profile edge, etc.) and Solidworks doesn't want to offer any sketch relations, I'll use "convert entities" to convert the item into sketch geometry in the current sketch, then turn it into construction geometry with the appropriate check box in the property manager and apply my relations to it.

Thanks for the replies.
What ShaggyPE suggested only helps some of the time. I tried a 3D sketch, but the Up to Vertex option I need wasn't available when extruding. Ended up linking dimensions where I couldn't add relations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back