Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sketch says fully defined but it lies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hititfaster

Mechanical
Nov 24, 2010
GB
A friend called me with an odd problem: he's created simple sketch, dimensioned it and the info. bar at the bottom of the screen states 'fully defined'. 'Everything is black, including the line end points' he says. Yet, 'if you left click and drag a line, you can move it. Once you drop it, the dimension updates to whatever the new position is'.

My first thought was that the dimensions were driven: I checked and they aren't. I couldn't replicate the issue, so I did a screen share with him and watched him draw a square in a new sketch. He started his line on the origin, moved up, left, down then right to complete the square. He dimensioned it 50mm x 50mm, the fully defined message appeared, then he grabbed the LHS line and dragged it left... The dimension jumped to 75-odd mm.

To be honest, I don't even know where to start looking for a solution! Anyone?!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Wow, there's genuinely a setting for that?! I can't think of a situation where I might need it!

Thanks for the reply - very much appreciated.

If you do a lot of Top-Down design, you still want fully defined sketches, but need the freedom to move sketch segments around. Sometimes it's easier than double-clicking a sketch and editing the dimensions.

"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating."

Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of these Forums?

Sometimes you will fully define a sketch, but the FM says its under-defined. That is usually caused by a construction geometry end point not defined. But really who cares about an endpoint of a centerline. However if you use the option "Fully define a sketch" that end point becomes are real PITA.

Kind regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
Gryphon Environmental
"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

@MadMango - OK, I can understand that. I do minimal top-down so haven't come across the issue before.
@SBaugh - Agreed, I'm just a bit anal about defining sketches. It's a pet hate that I've evolved. I've been using infinite construction lines as it often negates the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back