Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sketch Text? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mechanicalman1

Automotive
Sep 10, 2004
GB
Hello All,

I am trying to write some text on a part in part design. We have a plastic housing, which we get laser etched, and I want this to be on the model as well.

Is there any way of doing this (I am really hoping for a insert text option somewhere)? I don’t really want to have to draw every letter.

Cheers

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

To get text into a sketch, start a catdrawing and type your text. Fix up the fonts, size, etc however you want it to look. For simplest NC engraving we use a single-line font like ROM1, but any will work. Save-as dxf file. Now the text in the new dxf isn't text anymore but a bunch of generic curve type geometry. Open the new dxf file. Window-select the "text" in the dxf file & COPY, then PASTE it into a sketch on the plane where you want it in your model. You can window-select it all and drag it around to position it. But if you want to change the letters it's best to start over, it's quicker than it sounds. I haven't used the text-to-sketch thing in the link above, but it sounds like it saves the dxf step is about all.

I too wish they had a function for making and editing text more suited for laying out artwork for printing etc, right in your 3d model, but I think this is as close as it gets.

Thanks for the help guys.

I find it very strange that in a £2k package like Solidworks this comes as standard, but in a £20k package like Catia you have to use a workaround.

Not good.

I find it very strange that in a £2k package like Solidworks this comes as standard, but in a £20k package like Catia you have to use a workaround.

Mid-range CAD packages are defined by the ability to do all kinds of "nice" stuff, but nothing too complicated. There's no mystery in it.

I get jobs on a daily basis from SolidWorks users who can't quite do what they need to get done, and they complain that they pay too much to not be able to do it.

Go figure.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Catia Design|Catia Design News|Catia V5 blog

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back