Sketching in 3 axis?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Putzola

Computer
Aug 25, 2009
ZA
Hi,
I'm in the process of creating a bluesurf object, it's quite an organic shape and the sketches require a fair amount of fiddling.

I was trying to modify the bluesurf by a inserting sketches which didn't help because I can't move the endpoints.
Is it possible to modify my original sketches in a plane other than what it was created in?
(I've drawn my sketch in an XY plane but now I need to move some of it's points along the Z axis?)

Beachcomber helped me out with the cross curve command a while back and it kinda worked but like before, I couldn't move the end points.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sorry but you can't do that with a sketch - the points are fixed on the plane.
The only other suggestion I have is to use a Keypoint Curve instead of a sketch. You should be able to key-in values for each point on the curve. The co-ordinates of each point can then be modified by key-in or by snapping to other points but not by dragging.
I suppose there is also the option of a curve by table.

bc.
2.4GHz Core2 Quad, 4GB RAM,
Quadro FX4600.

Where would we be without sat-nav?

Thanks again beachcomber!
Unfortunately I don't think it's going to help me. I'm pretty much all out of ideas to be honest. You seem to be quite familiar with SE, maybe you could tell me how you would go about making this.
I originally tried modelling it in sync mode and ran into a dead end early on. Modelling it in traditional mode with bluesurf looked promising but again I've hit a brick wall.

I'm pretty new to SE and I'm honestly at a loss. Any suggestions?

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=bb6643d7-7c26-4377-87a1-51a27e73ad95&file=AB.jpg
I'm a bit pushed for spare time, but give me some measurements and I'll see what I can do.

bc.
Quadro FX4600.

Any help or advice you could give me might save me from jumping off a cliff or gargling battery acid!
The overall dimensions are 123.5mmx55mm and 95mm high. The flat part of the base is 20mm high.

Are yu sure about the height & base dimensions - they don't seem to look right to me?

bc.
Quadro FX4600.

Jeez, not even close. Sorry, I was reading it off an old 3Dmax model which wasn't to scale at all.
127x110x95mm high. The flat base piece is 15mm high.

Still not right, I think.
The base width is just less than 1/2 the length and the height is a little more than the base width.
Thickness is abot 1/5 base width.

bc.
Quadro FX4600.

That looks better !!!
Do you have any iso views so I can see what the upright bit looks like?
It looks concave to me but its hard to tell.

bc.
Quadro FX4600.

I've started and will try and do a bit more tomorrow but I only take 1/2hr lunch break so time is limited.

bc.
Quadro FX4600.

Beachcomber, you are a legend sir!
But lunch breaks are precious things so please don't spend too much time missing out on yours.

There's nothing else to do here anyway, other than surfing the net.
When the weathers warm I go and 'power-nap' in the car - makes a hell of a difference when you start work at 7am every day and have nearly an hour driving to get here.

bc.
Quadro FX4600.

Lol! I hope your boss doesn't read these forums ;)
At least you don't power nap at your desk. I know first hand how awkward it can be to try and explain that.

I knew a guy once who worked in an office with automatic lighting, the type that sense movement and switch off after a certain length of time if none is detected. He was at his desk 'working' late when someone came in and all the lights suddenly came on !!!
I did go to sleep on a training course once.
I had no interest in it so I just put my head down on the desk.

bc.
Quadro FX4600.

Putzola,
I'm sorry but I just haven't had time to do anything this week, and next week might be the same (family crises unfortunately). I will send you what I have next week in the hope that it gives you some ideas.

bc.
Quadro FX4600.

Beachcomber, you've done more than enough already and I really do appreciate it. I just need a shove in the right direction.
You're a legend mate!

Try this.
I'm struggling with the round on top of the lip, but it might point you in the right direction.
Just unsuppress all the features in pathfinder.

bc.
Quadro FX4600.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back