Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Skip one instance when creating an instance array feature. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matsa

Automotive
May 23, 2011
SE
Hi,
Is there any way to skip one instance when creating an instance feature?
I know it is possible to suppress the particular instance, but i am not allowed to have any suppressed features..

I`m using NX 7,5

Brg Mats

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Only suppressing.
NX 8 has a big enhancement on instance feature, that it's begun pattern feature.
I suggest you to switch to NX 8.

Thank you...

Using NX 8 and TC8.3

First off, rules like "no suppressed features allowed" is like buying a car with a V8 and then pulling a couple of sparkplug wires. You're just wasting some of the power of NX.

That being said, have you tried to simply 'delete' the feature by using...

Insert -> Synchronous Modeling -> Delete Face...

...and selecting the faces of the feature?

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

supressed features can get confusing for downstream users. After a major model tear up it can get hard to track what's supposed to be supressed and what got surpressed in the course of making your change.

Have you ever thought about noting in the 'Comment' column of the Part Navigator some information about why this feature was 'suppressed'? This way, in the future, when someone else is editing your model, they will know why this feature was left in the state that it was.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

"You can lead a horse to water, but..."

All we can do is supply the tools; you have to learn how to pick them up and utilize them in an efficient manner.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

My point is simply when trying to minimise confusion and possible mistakes having a rule for no suppresions/last feature current. is a prudent measure. especially when dealing with parts that can be modified by a wide variety of users wuth an unknnown skill set. that being said there are always exceptions.

Did you ever look at the possibilty of using Delete Face the remove the unwanted 'feature'?

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

I personally prefer to use 'suppression by expression' on the particular instance I want to remove. Using this method, one can control whether or not the instance is displayed, and ensure that an unsuppress action is a deliberate one. i.e. the suppression expression will be 0=unsuppressed, 1=suppressed.

NXHerbie
Teamcenter 2007 & NX7.5

And in NX 8.5 you'll be able to 'lock' an expression, meaning that if one took NXHerbie's advise, you'd could set things up that someone would have to perform an additional explicit action before the feature could finally be unsuppressed.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back