Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slag cement 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

StoneMaker

Materials
Jun 4, 2013
US
I have finally been able to find someone willing to sell me a ton of slag cement. Unfortunately I would be paying close to double the bulk rate and I also have to pay labor involved in shoveling out 1 ton from the truck. I wanted slag cement for precast concrete. The mix design I would use has tested at 10,000 psi and I think if I could have tested cylinders that rated 10,000 psi it would be great for marketing purposes.

The problem I am struggling with is the price as I am a very small business who has a long way to go before becoming profitable and this is way more expensive than just Portland cement. I am curious what others think about how important slag cement is for having a high strength concrete product.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Why would you want to pay more for a product that has poor qualities than portland cement. Slag cement would certainly be no better than standard portland cement and could cause issues that you don't want...for instance, strength gain is retarded with slag cement so you can expect delays in form stripping and delivery.

Next.....I would be suspicious of any cement delivery that does not come in a sealed tanker. Even high humidity can start to affect open stored cement.

Ron -

Great point about sealed containers. If not controlled, storage can kill any cemetitious material (even with waterproof bags) and time is a problem with a low volume material.

Some cement companies do not make slag cement on a regular enough basis because of the low volume and uncontrolled storage. A ton of cement does not go very far, so it must expected because of the low volumes used in a volume oriented lower profit industry.

Dick

Engineer and international traveler interested in construction techniques, problems and proper design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back