Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SLC 5/04 and TI-565 communication

Status
Not open for further replies.

ADMIRALKEN

Computer
Mar 26, 2002
US
Hi Folks,

I have an older TI-565 PLC and a newer Allen-Bradley Slc 5/04, that are physically located about 200 yards apart.

I need to be able to pass a few words from one machine to another. One possible solution would be to use Modbus as the
go between. I know AB has a PRO-Soft card for modbus and Siemens has a modbus card for the 565. My question is considering the distance, will I need some type of repeater/signal booster for this setup. If anyone has experience with this type of setup, or something similar. Please share your thoughts.

Ken Moore
NSCC-Wdrf Plant

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thats a good solution if you dont want to mess around with protocols. Its been a few years but....
I used a TI Basic module with a RS422 converter to the serial port of the SLC504. I had to play around with pinouts and built my own cables which took longer than I wanted. I ran it at 9600baud.
Pretty slow, but it worked.

AB has a "black box" that translates ti to ab. it is around $500 U.S. You would have to config both for 422. i have used this box with ti545 to a pv1000 but it was with rs232.

prosoft makes this "black box" converter (it's actually white)for AB. check out their web site. if you do not find what your looking for, reply back and i will look up the info/part# that i used.

good luck
rubha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back