Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Slide Rule Era 39

Status
Not open for further replies.

WinelandV

Structural
Aug 18, 2013
US
At the risk of being insensitive, is SlideRuleEra still around? I was trying to access this morning and that site appears to no longer exists. I don't suppose anyone created a copy of all the data that was there?

Please note that is a "v" (as in Violin) not a "y".

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

@SRE: we need to keep your thing going. I've got some ideas for folks that might be willing to take it on. Would it be possible for you to share the previously hosted files in a bundled manner, either with me or someone else here who could pass them along? I could pretty easily provide you with some Dropbox space in which to place everything. We'll set this up in a way that pays homage to your original effort.

TehMightyEngineer said:
Here's the last snapshot on the wayback machine:

First JAE resurfaces and now TME? It's raining legends here this week!

KootK said:
I could pretty easily provide you with some Dropbox space in which to place everything.

I have about 950GB free in my OneDrive at the moment, and it's not filling up that fast. I'd be happy to store it for a bit while something more public is set up.

SRE - to reiterate what others have said: thank you very much for your presence here on this forum and for hosting your website for so many years. You've provided an invaluable service to this community that we all appreciate, both as the unofficial forum librarian and as an incredibly deep resource of engineering knowledge.

No Ron, yet...

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

GB?... nearly all my drives are TBs. Due to recent problems, all my portable drives are no longer connected to my machine, except during backup.

My son has a website and we may be able to use his servers, too. I often use his website to transfer several GB files to clients. I send the files to him and he creates a link on his server for the client to download from.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

SlideRuleEra -

I think your accumulation of historical engineering design documents is an irreplaceable asset.

I would be willing to help out in preserving these documents. I can help fund a pool of money to keep the documents stored somewhere; or help out in any other way if needed.

-Joel

SRE,

Why not set up a Gofund me page to pay for the website at least for another year or so and then see how to maintain it later?

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

I'm here to chime in that I've used his website countless times. I've even sent junior engineers at my office there for historical info.

Let me know what I need to do to help, whether it's donate time or money, to keep it running. I'm down for whatever.

KootK said:
I could pretty easily provide you with some Dropbox space in which to place everything
phamENG said:
I have about 950GB free in my OneDrive at the moment

I have an unopened 2T external drive (thanks to dik's thread) that I'm ready to physically mail to SRE, but these are better 21st century solutions.

I'm really glad so many have stated their desire to keep SRE.net up and running (in some form). It really is a great resource. And like all great resources, you don't know you need it until you need it (and that's when you really need it). Count me in as one of those willing to help defray costs to keep it alive.

Unrelated to the above, I received a reply from Bob Paul at SDI:
Robert C. Paul said:
I am not aware of any steel deck manufacturer that produced a profile that matches these dimensions. It may be an exposed roofing/siding profile that was used to form a concrete slab. Hopefully, it’s a reinforced concrete slab and that will determine the capacity of the slab, not the deck.
Alas.

Please note that is a "v" (as in Violin) not a "y".

@ SlideRuleEra
thank you very much for your "valuable presence" here on this forum and for hosting your website
Iam sure you well got rewarded in this life and in the LASTING LIFE.

Thank you so much... I am overwhelmed at the support and sentiment shown. Did not expect that what started out as a modest hobby would turn out to be so useful to so many people. I'll reevaluate what to do next. Will likely turn over the .pdfs for someone else to go forward. Gathering everything together will take some time (at least weeks). Over time, I just added to the website without ever reorganizing or consolidating it. Files are scatter everywhere, at least they are all on one drive.

Just for info, the reason I took down the site is not about money, health, etc. The site was hopelessly outdated and I do not have the webmaster skills to update it... and of course, there is no more room at home for human909's bulky tape drives, and it is getting harder and harder to find replacement vacuum tubes for my computer.

Many thanks, again. I'll be back in touch on this subject when I get the files together.

You will do the right thing, SRE. You always have. If you find a good supplier for vacuum tubes, I'm in the market. Somehow, I sense that Mrs. SRE is involved here, but that is only based on the pressure I am on at home to clean up my 'junk'.

@SRE: A few "possibles" for the future home of this information:

1) Have Eng-Tips host it if your relationship with management is amenable to that. It would be a service to the forum and, in a small way, help to drive site traffic. This would be my first choice.

2) Celt83 has a website that is coming together nicely and is substantially in the vein of what I'd once hoped KootWare would be: The Structural Toolbox. Perhaps, with some financial support, we could persuade Celt83 to add the SRE stuff to the existing infrastructure of his website. Again, this would benefit our community and help to steer traffic towards the excellent online tools that Celt83 has been developing.

3) Agent666 also has a web presence that might be used similar to Celt83's: Engineers Vs Sheep.

For years now, I've foreseen this eventuality and meant to reach out to you to see if you might want me to succeed you in your endeavor. I'm kind of the world repository of historical structural engineering publications in my own right so there would be synergy there. I'd still be willing to do this if it were necessary but, at present, I'd be pleased to see this land at one of the three options above or something similar.

Assuming there isn't any copyright issues, I would be willing to host the materials on some subsection of my site as well.

Another useful place to add it would be to this github repository (assuming the repo owners are cool with that). If its on Github its very likely to remain available for a long time, moreso than any 'private' website.

-JA
try [link calcs.app]Calcs.app[/url] and let me know what you think

Github won't be a good fit the group is a free account that comes with some access and content restrictions, I've also been considering shutting the group down as it never really got any traction and my free time outside of work is significantly diminished so I plan to focus on just the Toolbox moving forward.

If there are no copyright issue, I think anyone of our websites would probably be a better fit.

SRE's files.
floppy-disks_rvtdq0.jpg

Celt83 said:
Github won't be a good fit...

Rats, I was willing to bet on the longevity of Microsoft over you or me, atleast as a publicly-accessible backup location for them.

-JA
try [link calcs.app]Calcs.app[/url] and let me know what you think

Yeah there is a soft limit of 1 gb on repositories and 25 mb per file (you can go over this with there large file storage but I have not done any research into that) bandwidth looks limited to 1 gb. Bandwidth usage would be a nice metric to get from SRE if they are able to share that to help budget for any possible additional hosting costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back