Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Small High Torque Motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

leonar40

Electrical
Jan 6, 2005
US
I am looking for a small high torque motor. I have looked places like Maxon, Arsape, Engel, etc, but haven't found anything that could work yet. Here are the specs that I am looking for.

Needs to provide 25oz-in torque at 1800rpm. Gearing the motor is fine (ie, a motor that provided 5oz-in at 9000 rpm would be fine).
Needs to use 28W or less.
Needs to be 3in by 3in or less.
Can be a stepper or DC motor.

If anybody has any experience with anything that might work for this application then I would be happy to hear from you.
Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't have direct experience with such small motors but I do know that Pittman makes very small DC motors. They are used in robotics and model train locomotives.

Check their website for more info.

leonar, are you sure about the requirements? a 25 oz-in at 1800 rpm translates to 33.25 Watts mechanical output. The 28W input won't work.

Hey there BigLe. You are right about the power requirement, I had already run that. I guess I am just trying to see how close I can possibly get to that limit. So far the EC 22 and EC 32 from Maxon with a 5-1 gearing scheme are the best that I have been able to find. If I change my speed requirement to 900rpm then I will be able to do it. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back