Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Small Manual press to stamp cork plugs??

Status
Not open for further replies.

toprow

Aug 27, 2007
US
Kind of dumb question... I need to make 1500 plugs out of 0.25 inch cork sheeting. Have done it before with a round hollow chisel and hammer, but now we'll need 1500 each time. Looking for a small, assembly-type of press that I can attach the hollow chisel to make it easier. Any suggestions? For some reason I'm having a hard time finding what I think I need.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sounds like a good application for a toggle press or a small flypress. They are available by the cart load on the surplus market in the UK because our manufacturing base has almost disappeared and they are no longer needed.

----------------------------------
image.php
I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem...

I'm thinking along the lines of an arbor press. You could have a die set made that the ram of the press actuates that does several at a time.

If you already have an arbor press, the capital cost would be the die set. If you don't have an arbor press, they're terribly handy, and this would be a great reason to go to your boss with when selling him on the idea.

I just get the impression that this application is in a smaller shop and not in a big production floor given that hollow chisels and a hammer are your current production method, so I figure if you can swing a very useful piece of equipment out of the deal along with solving your problem, that's a good thing

Arbor presses really are terribly useful in a small, limited run type of shop. Press-in inserts come immediately to mind... Bearings... Spiral pins... thumbs...
The list goes on.

Is there some adapter that can allow me to use the current hollow chisel directly to the press ram? An inexpensive arbor or toggle press would work if I could just insert my current chisel.

My Clippard catalog shows several examples of tabletop automated cylinder and arbor presses that one can build using Clippard parts. Cylinders, valves, pneumatic controls, support fixtures, its all there. Their website does not show these assemblies, but I bet if you give them a call they may be able to supply you with drawings and BOMs.

This isn't an answer to your question directly, but I suggest that you get rid of the hollow punch and buy a steel-rule die, they are fairly inexpensive. Your die could make several plugs in one hit of the press. The press could be something as simple as a press-brake with a modified die set that holds the steel rule die.

One of many steel-rule die shops:

You might want to drill them with the coring tools used on a machine like this. We had both a manual and motorized one to drill/core stoppers in the lab. You could probably adapt a drill press to handle the tools. These tools are very easy to sharpen. Water would be the lubricant.

Here is the standard for punching holes in cork gaskets

If all else fails and as mentioned above you can buy them.

After all the above I have to go with Mint Julep

Here is my latest idea. We already have a small arbor press, So I'm going to bore a hore in the ram, and add a set-screw. This way I can simply slide the hollow punch into the bottom of the ram and secure it. This will allow me to puch the plugs much faster.... I think.

Punching 1500 plugs by hand? Will this be something you'll need to do once in a blue moon, or every X number of days?

Replace that arbor press with a simple air cylinder, a mounting bracket and toggle valve. Why do grunt work when your air compressor can do it for you?

Don't forget that if you bore a hole through the ram in the press that you might be making the ram too weak to handle the loads the levers of the press can apply to it. You don't want the ram failing explosively under load.

In reading DVD's idea about the steel rule die, a project I worked on years ago came to mind. The customer wanted to cut out the bottoms of foam beverage holders. They were round with a hole in the middle. We cut, if I remember correctly 48 pieces at a time. I also remember it required we build a 50 ton hydraulic press to accomplish the job. Steel rule dies are not expensive and do a nice job. You of course would want to tailor the number of pieces with the capability of whatever mechanism you choose.

Dennis

SolidWorks 2007 SP3.0
Windows XP Pro, Pentium4 3.00GHz
1GB RAM, Nvidia FX500
Logitech Marble Mouse, CadMan

Oh my god!

$15 - $20 / 1000 purchased.

Vs.

Arch punch: $20
Cheap Chinese arbor press: $50
Disassemble the arbor press, bore a hole in it, drill and tap a hole for a set screw, reassemble: $150
2 hours @ $20/hr (burdened) to punch out 1500: $40
Roll of cork: $10

Total cost to make: $270

MintJulep, you're ignoring the fact that one budget is capital equipment while the other is materials;-)

Plus $20/hr, not anywhere near here.

KENAT, probably the least qualified checker you'll ever meet...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back