Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Small or big firm? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sctiger07

Structural
Mar 18, 2010
US
I'm trying this again b/c my previous post was deleted...

I'm early on in my career, 2 years out of school, and am trying to decide what career path would be better in terms of experience and advancement possibilities: a large firm(international type design/construction firms) or a smaller firm (20 person staff, regional-type firm).

All of my experience so far (current job and internships) is with the smaller type firms, working on residential and commercial buildings as a consultant to architects. This is the path I've envisioned for myself for awhile now, but I'm starting to have second thoughts.

I really like the ability to work on a pretty wide variety of projects and participate in all aspects of the building design that comes with a smaller consulting firm. On the other hand, I see a relatively limited opportunity for advancement working for a smaller firm.

With a larger company, I'm somewhat concerned that I could possibly be pigeon holed into doing the same type of design work over and over, and would end up with relatively narrow experience. The plus side is that there may be more opportunities for advancement and moving into management positions.

I'd really appreciate some different opinions/observations on the pros/cons of each career path.

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I’ve worked in both, but smaller firms far better suit my personality type and interests.

Large firms offer more training, policies and procedures to help you determine what they think is the right and wrong way to do your job, and usually a competitive salary and good to excellent benefits. There is, at least in theory, more opportunity for in-company advancement or lateral job moves or changes of location simply because there are more positions and job titles available. There is usually more specialization leading to narrower experience for each person. Large firms also tend to be far more impersonal, bureaucratic and rigid in their dealings with employees, often using a “human resources” department for this purpose.

Small firms can offer more variety of assignments WITHIN a given job description, a wider scope of responsibility, and enough rope to hang yourself with. Pay can be far poorer OR far better than in a larger firm. The same with retention in slow times- it can be worse OR better. Benefits are usually poorer. They’re less impersonal in their dealings with their employees (that can be good OR bad), and they’re also usually less “skilled” in those dealings. There are fewer policies and procedures, less bureaucracy, sometimes less opportunity for mentorship, and usually less training. Advancement is either by growth or by leaving and finding another place to work.

At first I wanted to work in a small company so I could be involved with all the different aspects of designing a project. Now I realize that 30 years from now, I will still be making copies, delivering plans, and performing other administrative duties. It's hard to pay an employee a high wage when there is no division of labor.

I also feel that advancement in a small company is highly dependant upon what the exact needs of the company are as opposed to your seniority or ability. If the guy above you quits, it’s your job now whether you want it or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back