Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Small Pnumatic on/off valve 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cooleyjo

Mechanical
Jul 26, 2005
US
I need a small >.5in pneumatic valve that is electronically actuated. I need to for a sorting machine that will send a blast of air when a voltage is sent to it. my idea was to have one side normally pressurized and then when i apply a voltage it opens the valve and sends a jet of air out. preferably normally closed, via a spring. I don't even know what too look for if anyone could help me that would be great.

thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Whether a jet of air will be effective depends very much on what objects you are trying to sort, and how fast they are moving. People already make sorters for stuff like letters, laundry, and packages, and you'd probably save money in the long run by not homebrewing one for yourself.

Ignoring that ...

Solenoid valves that will fit completely through a 1/2" hole are available from The Lee Company.

Solenoid valves with 1/2" NPT and smaller terminations are available from ASCO.

Solenoid valves of intermediate sizes are available from Clippard Instrument Laboratory.

There are of course other vendors.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

this is being used to sort pennies that are basically sliding down a ramp and will be sorted based on weather it is a copper of zinc penny

I'm curious about how you can get a machine to reliably sense the difference between a solid copper penny and a copper- jacketed zinc penny.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Im using an excited toroid over the penny that generates a different waveform when zinc vs. copper penny is placed in its magnetic field. Its called and eddy current.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back