Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Smath Question 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brad805

Structural
Oct 26, 2010
CA
I finally have time to create a useful Embed calculation sheet. I have variables xi and yi that include the spaces between individual studs(see below). I will add/delete matrix values based on the actual embed plate design.
SMath_Q2_ud4sxl.jpg

The question I have relates to getting the value nx below. Is there a simple function to get the number of columns from the xi matrix?
SMath_Q1_f2narq.jpg

Dik, thanks for suggesting Smath. After some reading and trial and error it seems a good solution to better see ones calculations.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This is a construct I use to check output, it's a little easier than your construct (from the first page of my template):
Template_tpbhqi.png

Dik

Somehow the picture got embedded in the message... It's a matter of typing 'Check(Arg)' and hitting the '=' character, and I may have 20 of them in a program. It's a pretty busy 'first page' but is common to nearly all my programs. I printed it as the current page, using DoroPDF, and converted it to a *.png using 'paint.net', both free and excellent programs.

Dik

I think I get where you are going with that dik. Do you have an example snip you could share? I do not like how messy some of the formulas have gotten.

Have you managed to add sketch drawings that update with your input values? I found a few examples on the Smath site, but when I looked under the hood they seemed a bit fiddly to make work. It would be great to have output I can cut/paste for clients to use.

Thanks

I make up my own units so I don't have 'stacked fractions' which I find takes up horizontal space. I also use NDX values to select one of many similar objects.
Enjoy and expand... I like SMath... a couple of little quirks, but, generally very good. My programs give it a bit of a plug...

Dik

New question. I am working on a wall calculation sheet and have used matrices for the various load cases. In the image below both Pf and kbf are 1x6 vectors. You can see the variable function in red that needs to be evaluated. I can do this one by one, but I was hoping there was a better option.

Matrix_Q_szndhs.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back