Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Smoke Test 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

swall

Materials
Sep 30, 2003
US
I have heard the term "smoke test" as a diagnostic tool, but was not sure what it is for. Is it to measure the opacity of the vehicle exhaust or is it some sort of test to find air leaks into the passenger compartment?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Unless you're an EE, and then "smoke test" takes on a whole new meaning...

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

I think the EPA might have a smoke test for diesels. Failing one can be more problematic than failing an inlet manifold vacuum leak test.

I am sure the term can have many meanings depending on when and where.

Regards
Pat
See FAQ731-376 for tips on use of eng-tips by professional engineers &
for site rules

I have used cigar smoke blown through a small hose to check for clogs in carburetor passages, to bench-check the centering adjustment shims on a power steering control valve, and to verify correct installation of several large hydraulic lines spanning three compartments in a submarine. That last test consumed an entire 'guinea stinker' and gave me a wicked headache.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

I can remember way back in about 1980 using a Bosch smoke tester for diesels. It drew a sample through filter paper and then had some kind of optical meter that gave it a number. It think it was a scale of 1 to 5. Hopefully there is something more sophisticated today.

track air flow

fitting face masks
track ventilation effectiveness
find leaks

We used a lot of smoke when we built the new plant. Check ventilation and employee training.

Thomas J. Walz
Carbide Processors, Inc.

Good engineering starts with a Grainger Catalog.

Bosch Automotive Handbook (5th Edition). Page 566: "Smoke Emission Test Equipment"

It's all still based on blowing exhaust gases through a bit of tissue and seeing if it goes black or not.

- Steve

Hmmm, blowing cigar smoke through a gasoline carburetor. Clever mechanical idea- but even more elegent procedure for simultaneously pushing ALL the buttons of a modern HSE (Health, Safety & Environment) department! ;-)

Some day I hope to work alongside Mr. Halloran, or at least spend a few evenings sharing a beer or two. Drwebb, a star for pointing out the multiple hot buttons for HSE types.

In a long departed job we would use various "smoke analysers" for rocket exhaust plumes. Seeing lots of iron, chromium, aluminum or other metal species in the exhaust was a sure sign that something was going (had gone) wrong.

I didn't say the carburetor was mounted on the car. It was not.
It had in fact been completely disassembled and cleaned, with carburetor cleaner, then alcohol, then soapy water.
After which, some chalky deposits remained in the emulsification tubes, and some carbonaceous deposits remained in the transition jets.
Their presence was detected with the smoke.
They were mechanically removed.
Their absence was verified by the smoke.
Then the carburetor was reassembled and reused in the normal way.

That (Ford/Motorcraft) carburetor would have given the HSE folks fits anyway; the normal procedure for adjusting the float level required measuring the float level with the entire top of the carburetor removed, on a running engine. You were supposed to stop the engine to bend the float tangs, because bending them on a running engine would squirt gasoline from the float needle up into your face; this, I know.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

"I didn't say the carburetor was mounted on the car. It was not."

Oh, Mike, don't spoil the legend.

For some HSE types it wouldn't matter. But this written in the manual would make the vision complete: "Tuck lit cigar behind ear whilst adjusting the float level"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back