Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Snap Closure Spec's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adrian2

Mechanical
Mar 13, 2002
CA
Dear Folks;

I have to specify a snap closure on a cylindrical device much like the snap on and off caps you see on bottles of shampoo and other pharmaceutical products. The snap closure would comprise of a raised ring which would snap into a corresponding circular depression on the mating part.

Where could I find spec's for the design of these closure's. Particularily with respect to required dimensions related to force required to pull them apart.

Is something freely available on the internet or at least inexpensive to purchase somewhere ?

Many thanks in advance for your consideration

Adrian Dunevein
aaadrafting.com

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have scanned the relevant pages from some old literature courtesy of Allied Signal and Akzo.

As this is from their promotional literature, and from companies who have been absorbed, merged etc since publication:-
The literature might now be hard to aquire.
I don’t think there will be a copyright issue.

If you require more info, Bayer had a broucher specifically on this topic.

Also there is an excellent book with about 20 pages on this topic alone.
Title Plastic Part Design for Injection Molding
By Robert A Malloy
Publisher Hanser
ISBN 1-56990-129-5

I don't think the images will come out, so i can e-mail them if you care to send me your e-mail address.

Mine is pjprimmer@optusnet.com.au

Regards
pat

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

Have a look at the Closure Manufacturers Association site.
The have loads of pdf drawings of neck finishes, although I could not see information on snap caps.

The Society of Plastics Industries (SPI) also has bottle neck finish drawings in pdf format for free download
The leading company that make the caps you see on milk bottles is Portola who have have a compay that used to be called Cap Snap

Mold makers can almost certainly give you some useful info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back