Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Snap Problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwlynn64

Mechanical
Jul 20, 2005
US
I have a problem drawing small lines sometimes. When drawing a line that is in one of the primary axis directions, I normally pick my start point, move my mouse in the direction I want the line to draw, type in the length of the line and hit enter. AutoCAD then draws the line that length.

If I am drawing a line that is relatively small compared to the rest of the sketch, I have to zoom in so that the line I am drawing is easily visible. If I am zoomed out and do the same thing, AutoCAD will not draw the small line.

Can anyone tell me if there is a setting that is preventing me from doing this or if that is just the way AutoCAD is?

Thanks,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

At least two things might explain your problem:

The pick point aperture; it can be resized, but you'll need a steady hand.

Using 'near' as a running osnap; causes other problems too.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Sorry that I haven't viewed this sooner. Work gets in the way of work sometimes ;)

I don't have the nearest osnap set so that isn't a problem. I also tried the aperature resize before and again today and it didn't help.

What I did notice however is that even though it doesn't draw the line the length that I have wanted, it does draw a zero length line.

Any clues why it does this?

jwlynn64,
I think Mike Halloran is right. If you start to draw a line from the endpoint of an existing entity and your cursor movement is within the aperture AND there are any relevant snaps set, then the snap will occur and you will generate a zero-length line. Try turning off all snaps, or at least any that could possibly interfere with setting the endpoint where you intend it.

Or, draw the line longer than you need it, and edit the length in the properties flyout.

I know 'flyout' is not the right word; I'm transitioning from 2k to 2008. There are many new features to get in the way, and I haven't learned their official names.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back