Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

So what's this new release all about then?

Status
Not open for further replies.

m4rc

Mechanical
Jan 25, 2005
GB
Hi,

Does anyone know what the release of V21 is all about? I've been able to find out very little from our supplier, although we've been invited to a demo in June...

The most I've found out is on this reseller site - which isn't a lot, but to quote them 'Countdown to the 3D CAD Revolution, when a new age in CAD software will be born.'

Anyone got any info?

Cheers,

M

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Don't know but it's been very hush hush. I've seen phrases like "biggest release since V1" thrown out by UGS employees. Whatever it is they've done a good job of keeping it a secret.

I'm not sure if it's v21 but it will soon interface with Siemens PLCs. I believe it's referred to as mechatronics. This comes from my Siemens Automation rep (I used to work with him).

Our supplier has seen a very quick demo (she stated about 10 secs lol).

From what she told me the interface is very different, she mentioned that it did not have tool bars per say but when you hovered over a feature it gave you only the options you can do to that feature if that makes sense.

Now I dont know if I understood this right or not though.

She also stated that they believe this version of Edge will be upto 2 years ahead of the compition so they have a lot to live upto.

Also I was told that there would be no need to upgrade hardware if its a good spec as they have designed it around using the recommened spec of Version 20.

But who knows as they are very secretive about this version.

Interesting... With a new interface I guess we will get away from the annoyance that the buttons keep moving when ever they feel like it.

On another note, if they are changing the interface... are they going to provide free training to all that have been/are going on courses this year? Our company is investing a lot of money next month on training the whole department, where half have not used 3D before. It'll be interesting to see how that half would cope with suddenly having all their buttons taken away(!) I wonder if there will be a 'classic' mode so all the buttons are there :)

M

I'm all for improvements but I think the interface and working methodology of SE is second to none.
Let's hope they don't break it just for the sake of being different to the competition. Hopefully it's an enhancement to the present direct editing, and a more refined way of getting at the parameters/properties of a feature.
I recently had a go with the new SpaceClaim package.
That works on a direct editing style and there is no history tree, much the same as in CoCreate One-Space. If you want to move or rotate a face you just drag it or input a distance. There is some REALLY clever stuff but I found it difficult to control things - probably because I didn't get into the system enough.
Have a look at this video -

bc

m4rc - what did you think of bending a straight edge into a curve? - really clever but what on earth would it do to assembly relationships and drawings !!

bc

Yeah, we were thinking here that most of those examples, like the green 'phone' were more suited to conceptual designs, not production part models...

I guess that V21 will follow Solidworks 2008 and recently Autocad 2009 with a new contextual "ribbon bar" replacing the traditional menu & toolbars combo. This is a new interface that first appeared with Microsoft Office 2007, and it seems it's becoming the standard for applications running on Vista.

I just hope that like Autocad 2009, you'll have an option in SE to go back to the classic interface.

And I hope that all that hype will not amount only to this UI change...

I don't think it's just an interface change, and I am more than happy with the SE interface. I think it's far superior to SolidWorks.
That would be quite embarassing after the 'hype' building up to this release, considering what they say at the link Toffeet has posted - "Are you ready for a product design experience that's up to 100 times faster?"
Wow! a bold claim (but they will never be able to speeed up the problem of getting information from suppliers, and getting managers to make a decision !)

I think it's possibly a change to the way of working and interacting with model data. As suggested earlier, maybe more of a 'direct modelling' approach.
One thing I would like to see is a merging of model types, especially part and sheet metal - you should really not have to decide at an early stage what manufacturing process you are going to use.
Some systems only have one model type, then you just decide whether to do part modelling or add components to make an assembly.
I would also like to see multiple bodies in one file.

Can't wait to see it.

bc

The following 2 questions were posted to Dan Staples, Product Director of Solid Edge, on the SE newsgroup.

Question 1:

When did Development start on this revolutionary release? Was it done in the same time frame as prior releases or has this been in the works for some time?

Answer 1:
Multi-year effort.

Question 2:

Did Siemens funding help drive this release? One of the big questions has been the impact Siemens would have on Solid Edge.

Answer 2:
Yes.

Solid Edge V20 SP4 on WinXP SP2

I suspect that's 100 times faster than 2D Autocad or similar, not compared to current versions of SE.

Remember their big thing on marketing etc is to win over people still doing 2D. They seem less concerned over getting people to move from other 3D systems to SE.

KENAT, probably the least qualified checker you'll ever meet...

I'll be quite interested to see how this impacts on the sheet metal environment.

Its good to see Solid Edge doing some marketing, perhaps it will start to shake off the 'best 3D CAD package you'll never use' moniker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back