Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Soffit Chase for Ductwork Run on 7' Ceiling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Designer_82

Mechanical
Oct 17, 2020
US
Got a townhouse style apartment building... barely 7' ceilings on first floor.

Running the ductwork along corner of unit. Question is, is this even feasible/have you seen it done before?

Not sure it's doable given the low height of the ceiling. Please see attached pic for more info.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'd guess the floor joists run across the short span, so that you could go between the joists to avoid blocking the door and the rest would simply be ugly.

Doors are one issue. Also review your local code how much clearance you need below. If not enough, you may need to build a wall and make the room smaller. That is unlikely, where I'm I think it has to be minimum 5' some feet. Obviously we don't know where you are. In North Korea the code may be different than in Belgium or in the principality of Antioch.
In egress paths it needs to be 6'8" clearance. Also account for the carpet etc. You don't want to build a soffit 6'8" from floor, and the the inspector measures from the 0.5"carpet.

I assume this is residential, but is it single family home or apartment building? Could be different codes.

So you need to read up on your local codes, also the architectural side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back