Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Software recommendations for creating cable/harness drawings

Status
Not open for further replies.

winpop123

Mechanical
May 18, 2006
US
We are currently using a program called HarnWare (tyco)to create drawings of cables for use by production or outside vendors. Anyone have any other recommendations or pitfalls they've experienced.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've not used it, but SolidWorks had a module for cable diagrams...you could draw it in the assembly using 3D and it would calculate the lengths, etc

I just use a regualar cad program (autocad or designCad)

We use ELCAD, manufacturer is Aucotec from Germany. This software has a lot of features - we design control and protection systems for power electric substations - but can be used also for low-scale projects. Also some of automotive manufacturers are using it, as far as I know.

I have recently begun using AutoCAD for wiring harness schematics, but have a need for assembly drawings. AutoCAD does not seem to have this feature- is anyone aware of a way to use AutoCAD for this task? The new version for Electrical does not seem to have it either.
Thanks

I am working with AutoCAD draftings. They are industrial standard in Europe and I guess in US if not they will be. If you are making draftings for your self you can use anything, but if they are for consumers they will ask them in AutoCAD.
Most of them have never heard of another cad - design program and when you say its drafted in mechanical desktop or Arhicad they ask can I open them in AutoCAD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back