Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

soil erosion control 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghay

Mining
Aug 23, 1999
What is an economical way to control soil loss on constructed earth slopes steeper than 2h:1v?<br>
<br>
The site is in a vary arid climate. The post mining land use will be grazing and wildlife habitat. <br>
<br>

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

THERE ARE SEVERAL DIFFERENT TYPES OF SYNTHETIC MATS TODAY. PERHAPS LOOK AT DIVERSION BERMS STRATEGICALLY PLACED TO ELIMINATE LARGE AMOUNTS OF SHEET FLOW. IF YOU HAVE ACCESS TO A PROGRAM UNDER THE HYDRAIN SOFTWARE CALLED 'HYCHL' (ALABAMA DOT USES IT) THIS PROGRAM WILL CALCULATE YOUR SHEAR STRESSES, DEPTH, HYDRAULIC RADIUS, ETC. IT WILL GIVE YOU A LIST OF DIFFERENT LININGS AND WETHER OR NOT THEY ARE STABLE FOR YOUR PARTICULAR SITUATION. HOPE THAT HELPS.

Can cut tree limbs/branches/trunks be used in a mannner to<br>
reduce erosion? What about wood chips (bagged?)<br>
This area is in Northwest Virginia near Winchester.

Please send me an email with some more info about your project. I own a small company that installs erosion control matting & blankets. I might be able to help you.

Thanks,

Bart

In arid regions it will be to hard to maintain grass cover, a hard armor would be best. Animals can not grase on slope steeper than 2:1, so rock,ACB Mats or Gabion Mattress would be your best erosions protection.

ghay,
grazing land must be has 1-2 mether deep topsoil. so its fertile layer. if you can divert to water with slope breaker you can see the natural vegetation will be come same year. but you focus on re-spreading topsoil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back