Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Soils Report

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackelmatador

Electrical
Aug 31, 2003
US
Hello,

This is a very novice question however I would really appreciate any help. I am interested in buying a piece of land in Southern California, and found one in paticular that interested me. However, when the seller presented me with all documentation he had, he only had a soils map. It shows the makeup of the land. I few things that concern me are: calcite veins, burried topsoil, and tension cracks. Are these things red flags of a possible diffucult piece of land to build on. All these markings are in the bedding which is anywhere from 1-6 feet below the topsoil (which is made up of mostly black silty clay).

I would appreciate any information on this, or if someone can tell me who to contact in the LA/Orange County area.

Thank You,
Stephan

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Oh my, RUN AWAY!

tension cracks? BURRIED TOPSOIL? Whoa, seriously look into this purchase a bit deeper. How much topsoil burried? To what depth? Volume? Tension cracks? Is the property sloped or located at the top of a slope? Is there structural fill on the property? Topsoil is a problem as no portion of your foundation may bear upon any 'burried topsoil'.

Actually, the entire property sounds a bit 'funny'. I would highly recommend retaining the services of a geotechnical engineering company.

*Is the propertly located in a subdivision? If so I would recommend a bit of detective work to see if you can find any paper relating to site soils.

Also buying a property without a soils report is a bit like purchasing a car without lifting the hood.

[blue]geodan[/blue] is right. Don't buy without a lot more information - and the services of your own expert to help you evaluate the problem. The tension cracks make my hair stand on end -

Where is the property? How old is the development? Who is the seller, and why is s/he selling? Is the price an unusually good bargain?

Be Careful.

[pacman]

Please see FAQ731-376 by [blue]VPL[/blue] for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

Thanks for the quick responses!

I had no intention of buying this land without a full soils report. I had the partial report but did not completly understand it and was wondering whether to pursue a full report, or to just back off the property. From the response it would seem wise to just back off, unless the seller undertakes some of the costs.

The land is in La Habra Heights and is located on a hill, partially sloped with a grade of about 10-25%, and the top is flat. It is close to the La Habra Heights fault line (I just found out), as is every property in that area.

The person has had the property for about 50 years and is selling it because he believes it is time to finally get rid of the property. The price seems good, but not unreasonable.

In the future would anybody have any recommendations for a geotechnical company to use, in this same general area?

Thanks for everything.

Jackelmatador-

I was being a bit facetious. I'm not litrally recommending running away, especially if the property is resonably priced. However that said, tension cracks (visible? length/width?) and a property on a hill... Just also be aware that a detailed soils report likely will outline design recommendations which may or may not require expensive measures to insure slope stability. I'm quite sure you wouldn't wish to purchase the property, build your house and then see it 'slide' down the hill.

This is all a bit hypothetical without having ever seen the subject site. The bottom line is a definite recommendation for a detailed soil report. As a side note, you may wish to retain a geotechnical engineer for a few hours to simply look over the property with you and give you his opinion. Bear in mind he will be able to offer few definitive statements (typical of geotechnical engineers) but at the very least, any seriously adverse conditons present may be observed by the expierienced eye.

And as to recommending a company. I'm not familiar with the area so I cant recommend any specific company. However I would HIGHLY recommend a well established larger respected engineering firm.

Thanks for the help Geodan! I did some more research and found some more problems, so that in combination with several other factors (including the tension cracks), is leading me to "Run Away"

Regardless, I really appreciate the info and help and hopefully someday I find some land that is "easily" buildable. And I will definitly be getting a full detailed soils report!

I am curious to know, what is "Soils Map" as referred in the very first post on this thread?
I own some land in So. Cal. and would love to get more info. on getting a Soils Map, where and how to get this for my property?
Any guidance will be apprecaited.

BTW: I am looking for more info. on Soldier Pile Lagging (Wooden or Concrete) It seems, Wooden lagginf is short term solution and may be a problem after 10 years, while, I can not find much info. on Concrete Lagging. Any help will be also appreciated.
Thanks

-Expotek

The "soils map" is the term I could best use to describe what was giving to me. I was refering to something someone had done on the piece of property once upon a time (I have no other info on who did it and how). It is really just a cross sectional view of the soil on the property. It shows details on what the different layers there are, where the bedding is, and what ever else exists. It is a very rough sketch, and there was no documentation provided. I have seen other soils reports, and they had detailed descriptions on the soil, and most included a cross sectional view of the property (the "soils map").

Like everyone else has said in this post, talking to a well respected professional geotechnical firm would be your best bet. They will provide you with all the information need.

With respect to soils map - I found that the US Conservation Agency had good soils maps of all counties in Indiana - probably would have one for California too - at least it will get you some information of the near surface soils.
[cheers]

Epotek
Also try the US Dept. of Agriculture, the Cooperative Extension Service of same and the US Coast and Geodetic Survey (I think) has geologic maps showing major soil & rock features for the entire US. We used these maps to learn geology for non-majors when I was in college those many moons ago.
Good luck and [cheers]

3 good geotechnical engineering companies in southern california

Converse Consultants
Ninyo & Moore
Kleinfelder

There are many more, but I have worked with all of these.
all are easy to find with google search

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back