Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

SOLAR RADIATION

Status
Not open for further replies.

PIPING3984

Petroleum
Aug 23, 2007
NO
I want to know the Pipe stress analysis temperature due to sun solar radiation?I would appeciate it if you guys out there could help me in answering this.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have used 80 deg C for solar in some Saudi work. Usually it will be defined based on expereience, in Project Design Basis documents.

You should really start a new thread with this question. Check the codes ... B31.3, ASME VIII etc for a word perfect definition.

In most codes, a "design pressure" is effectively what you use for engineering and design. Test (typically a hydrotest) pressure is the design pressure x the test factor. Maximum allowable working pressure (or maximum allowable operating pressure)is an/the actual test pressure divided by the test factor. MAWP, or MAOP takes precedence over the design pressure value.

Back to Solar Radiation Temperatures.......

I'm currently working on a project in offshore Norway and the client has asked us to use NORSOK Standard L-002. In that standard, they tell you to use an installation temp. of 4 deg. C and use 60 deg. C for solar radition for exposed piping.

A Caribbean client mandated we use 170 deg. F (76.7 deg. C) for solar radiation.

On most jobs we see 140 deg. F (60 deg C) or 150 deg. F (65.6 deg. C)

NozzleTwister
Houston, Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back