Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solenoid Noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbelly

Mechanical
Nov 6, 2003
AU
I am required to design a low noise solenoid. It is a tubular solenoid stroke is about 0.2 mm. On opening the armature hits the stop. Both are flat. Coating the surfaces can reduce noise, but the durabilty is not good, and it is questionable if the coating just reduces the force by increasing the gap. I am considering making the 2 flat surfaces cones of different angles to dampen the impact, but would like to know if anyone has developed a method of reducing the impact that is simple and durable.

Thanks

Greg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

gbelly
I for one would vote to hear the click of the solenoid. It's a tell-tell indication (audible) that something happened as a result of input; etc.
But if you wish to dampen that out, I guess you need to add some sort of low durometer bumper or spring to absorb the impact of the plunger.
Sorry! I'm not much help here.

regards
pennpoint

A bumper may be OK and would be cheapest, but will affect the holding force and the final position of the plunger.

You could also use a an air dashpot, but it would have to be customized due to the short stroke. Go to

Please note: I want to be upfront and tell you that I work as an engineer for Airpot an am not trying to sell here, I'm just telling something about a product that I know about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back