Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solid model with shell skin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Breezer

Structural
May 25, 2004
ZA

Hi all,

Can someone explain to me why ones would build a finite element solid model with a shell skin? Is it for more accurate answers on the surface? How does one determine the shell thickness to get the most accurate answer bearing in mind not to add too much material or additional stiffness to the model?

Thank you.
A

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This topic has been covered before in the thread Coating Solid Mesh with plates for Stress Recovery. (thread727-46439)

Best regards,

Matthew Ian Loew
"I don't grow up. In me is the small child of my early days" -- M.C. Escher

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

AnnHer,

Not a problem. The search function seems a bit dodgy at times. I hope you find what you are looking for. Welcome to the fora.

Best regards,

Matthew Ian Loew

Gary Mostyn in the same thread says he uses Tet elements for fatigue analysis and coated with triangular elements.Are Tets appropriate for problems involving strain gradients as in fatigue problems?Moreover traingular elements are also overly stiff.Aren't they? Any comments?

brc01

Higher order tetrahedral (10-node) and triangular (6-node) elements avoid the problem of constant strain in the element formulation. This topic has been discussed before, but I do not know in what threads. Try the search facility and Google. Perhaps someone will create a FAQ on this topic.

Best regards,

Matthew Ian Loew

Loew,
You are right,
but tets and triangular shells are still not as good as hexahedrons and general shells respectively and I am still sceptical of using them wherever high strain gradients are involved.

Perhaps one can use hexahedrons in critical regions coupled to tets in rest of the model.In ANSYS one can do that.

Regards
brc01

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back