Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solid properties

Status
Not open for further replies.

SolidDesign

Mechanical
May 4, 2006
US
There was a add-in for Solidworks called Solidprop or something like that but it does not work with the x64 version. Does anyone know of a version for the x64 machines?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I had totally forgotten about that one. I used it for a while but stopped for some reason I also don't remember.

Have you tried contacting the author. His address is in the PDF manual. He is a member here, although he hasn't logged in for over a year.

[cheers]

I usually use the SW built in Property Manager, but have experimented with all of the ones listed in the FAQ, except Property Links from Javelin.

BTW, I am still running a x32 system so don't know what does or doesn't work for x64 systems.

You may have to experiment and see which one works best for you. The SW2009 property manager is supposedly been improved, but do not have '09 installed yet.

What are you trying to do that the SW version doesn't do for you?

[cheers]

I just attended the SWX09 rollout on 10/15/08 here in Jacksonville, FL. (Very well done, BTW.) One of the new features of '09 deals with an incredible ability to manage properties. You can even tweak out a document and save a file of its property settings and then impose (my choice of word, not SWX's) these properties on pre-existing files! This is very different than just saving a template.

Before going to a separate macro or third party solution I suggest looking at the new abilities of SWX09.

- - -Updraft

Thanks,

The Autoprop is just a simple macro that writes to the existing Solidworks Properties so no modifications being done to the software so it should work fine when 09 comes out at which point I will look into what you are talking about. Although I can't upgrade till our vendors do since Solidworks is behind the times and lying to us about not being able to save to an older version. There sister software Catia has the ability to do it and they are both made by the same company. But that is for another forum.

SolidDesign said:
Solidworks is behind the times and lying to us about not being able to save to an older version. There sister software Catia has the ability to do it and they are both made by the same company. But that is for another forum.

What do you mean by "lying to us"? I don't recall SolidWorks ever claiming to be able to save to a previous version. SW and Catia are not made by the same company either. SW is owned by Dassault, not made by Dassault. There's a difference.

-handleman, CSWP (The new, easy test)

[sigh] SolidWorks is NOT made by the same company! SolidWorks (the company and its product) existed long before Dassault bought them, and Solidworks (the company and its product) still exist as a separate entity. They are merely owned by Dassault.

"Solidworks is behind the times and lying to us about not being able to save to an older version"
Most, if not all, the major solid modellers do not offer that function ... other than saving as a dumb file format.
Who lied to you?
Did they actually say that SW was backwards compatible?

[cheers]

Well I know it can be done they just don't want to do it. Even though this would be very useful to users. But of course they want to force everyone to upgrade every year and make more money.

I had talked to a solidworks tech directly don't remember his name a few years ago and he said you can't do that in 3D modeling but yet I have seen it done with there sister program Catia that as with anything has it's ups and downs but has this feature so I know it CAN be done they just don't want to.

You also can't tell me one or the other does not have any influence on the other.

But like I said it is for another forum so this is my last post on the subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back