Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solidworks sketch 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

janandk

Mechanical
Aug 5, 2005
US
I am trying to define sketches in Soildworks. How do I control a dimension using another dimension. Can I use expressions such as "D1/2" in the value field for a dimension, if D1 is already defined. I am a UG user and finding this an issue while contstrainng sketches to centers of datums.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You have to use the equations editor or you can use a design table to set dimension in other sketches. Do a search on this forum for design tables or equations

Best Regards,

Heckler
Sr. Mechanical Engineer
SW2005 SP 4.0 & Pro/E 2001
Dell Precision 370
P4 3.6 GHz, 1GB RAM
XP Pro SP2.0
NIVIDA Quadro FX 1400
o
_`\(,_
(_)/ (_)

Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean that they aren't out to get me.

- Woody Allen

As far as I know, you cannot do what you have mentioned (I am a UG user as well). The only way to link the dimensions is by using equations. After placing the dimension you want to drive, you will get a new window where you can change that dimension. To the right of that new pop-up, there is a little pull down menu and you can select "Add Equation". From there, you can construct your expressions as needed.

Hope that will help.

Allan Chun
SolidWorks CSWP

The best to do what your tring is through sketch relations. Use contruction lines, the origin and the planes to contruct these relations, especially for D1/2 type things.

I'm using UG now and notice alot of the old time users use alot of expressions doing what your doing. UGs sketcher and relations is not nearly as good as Solidworks so often expression are easier.

Me I prefer sketch relations so as not to clutter the equations dialogue. I do this even in UG.

Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back