Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Some basic questions 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izmar

Bioengineer
Aug 23, 2008
US
I know these are some really basic questions but I appreciate your help since I started using SW less than a month ago. I am using version 2008 SP0.0.

1- How do I resize a part proportionally and unproportionally? i.e. change length but not width or vice versa?

2- How do I translate/rotate a part? I know this can be done using the coordinate system but I cannot figure out how to do it for the whole part.

3- Is it possible to subtract a 3D object from another? I could successfully draw a screw but now I need to draw a block with a hole that exactly matches the screw and its threads. Is it possible to subtract the screw from a block or so? some software can do so by what is so called "Boolean operations". Is this possible in SW?

Thanks so much

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

1) With SW, you change the dimensions to alter the size. I suppose using one of the "Entities" varients would work, but it would be completely the wrong approach to take.
For a number of different varients, you make up configerations.

2) One of the "Entities" variations.

3) The Combine command.

I personnally, would spend a lot of time checking out the SW Help menu and doing tutorials before placing questions on forum.....(whispers).....it makes you look a bit lazy.

Regards

WP

To rotate a part or assembly another method is to use your up/down/left/right arrow keys on the keyboard. (or invest in a Logitech 3D connexion space pilot 3D motion controller)

In an assembly you have icons that rotate,move & zoom. Such basics are in the help files.

Eddy

1) The Insert > Features > Scale function has the ability to scale both uniformly and non-uniformly. This will create a feature in the Feature Manager tree. Use of the Scale function is probably best kept to represent shrinkage or expansion of parts. (Injection Moulding, Casting, etc)

The ModelRescaler macro from applies a uniform scale to the whole part. It does not create a feature in the FM tree.

2) The Insert > Features > Move/Copy Bodies function will do this, but it will create another feature in the FM tree.
The Edit Sketch Plane function can be used to relocate the first sketch feature onto another plane. This will effectively rotate the part. However, depending upon how the remaining features were placed, this could create a series of errors requiring more Edit Sketch Plane usage.
A simple translate operation can be made by editing the original sketch relative to the origin.

3) The Combine function will create what you asked for, but without knowing what you are actually trying to do, it may not create what is actually needed.
The correct machine shop details of a drilled and tapped hole will not be created using the Combine command.
Swept extrudes and cuts hog resources. Do you really need to create such detail?

[cheers]

I am asking about physical rotation of the object not just for viewing. What I am wish to do is the following:
I drew a screw, now I wish to draw a block and drill holes in the block matching the exact shape of the screw. I need to rotate the screw so that I make holes at different angles to the surface of the block (90 degrees, 60 degrees, etc...)

CorBlimeyLimey
Yes I need details because I am doing a finite element study and I am testing the effect of shape and size of threads on the stability of screws.

Thanks all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back