Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Some new, or perhaps not so new, automotive technology...

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife's C300 doesn't have what Mercedes calls the DISTRONIC system (AKA, Adaptive Cruise Control). That was included in the next level-up in terms of on-board electronics options. That package would have also included parking assist as well as few other interesting items.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

ACC is pretty useful, but I'd like a warning when it loses the car ahead. Typical whoops is to drive along the highway at 104 kph, pick up another car ahead at 103 kph, follow it into town, with a speed limit of 60kph, and then the car ahead turns off or parks. ACC is still set to 104 kph, and here the fun police only allow you to go 3 kph over. As it happens this car also has a speed limit detector (a camera) and it does ping if you exceed the current speed limit by an adjustable margin. The previous one didn't have that.

Cheers

Greg Locock

New here? Try reading these, they might help FAQ731-376

IRstuff said:
Sounds like there's a market for a car interior temperature monitor and the corresponding app to warn you if the temperature isn't behaving. I'll expect a royalty for that idea.

It turns out that Mercedes has a smartphone app that allows you to do things like remotely locking and unlocking the car as well as finding where you parked the car (but then my Apple maps will do that as well). In addition, it also allows you to do a remote start. And when you do the remote start, it reports back to your smartphone the interior temperature of the vehicle. (sorry IRstuff)

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

I was driving a Toyota last week with ACC. Great for certain times but can be a bit of a pain on multi-lane highways at times. I really don't want to be slowed down when approaching a slower car in the slow lane and getting ready to pull-out into the fast lane as a gap in the traffic comes available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back