Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

SPACE GASS - recommended add ons?

Status
Not open for further replies.

m_struct

Structural
Nov 11, 2020
NZ
Other engineers have recommended SPACE GASS for its ease of use, customer service, and reasonable annual maintenance fees (and option of no annual maintenance). I am planning on using SPACE GASS as my primary analysis program for structural engineering analysis and looking at the different options and add ons. The majority of my work will analysing 2D steel frames and some 3d modelling.

Looking at the order sheet, they sell the basic program and have 15-20 features that can be added on for a price.

What add ons do you find valuable? I was looking at getting the Steel designer option (SPACE GASS + Buckling analysis module + steel connection design module + steel member module).

I was also debating on:
1. Plate elements (models slabs, walls, plates, tanks, ect) - $1800
2. Master-slave constraints (models slabs, walls, rigid segments, ect) - $600
3. Dynamic frequency analysis - $950
4. Spectral response analysis - $800

My thought was that plate elements and master-slave are kinda similar, so get one or the other. So likely add on numbers 2, 3, & 4. Please let me know your recommendations and feedback.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

@m_struct

Why don't you consider something like Mecway or Lisa?

They don't have design capabilities but you can interface your own easily.
From an analysis perspective they will be much better.

Hi m_strut

Plate module and master slave are not exactly the same thing.

Plate module is kind of useful for modelling plates (slabs, walls, etc), master/slave are used for constraining degrees of freedom. Sure, you might be able to use plates to achieve similar, but they are definitely not the same. Last time I looked at the plate module it was unable to decouple the shell element stiffness from the beams (after a similar effect to using membrane slab in Etabs, so for buildings it sort of isn't that useful to me for this reason). But used plates for looking at continuous slabs or unique support conditions for walls for example in the past.

If you're getting the buckling analysis module, it ties in nicely with the design modules for feeding effective lengths to the member design modules for axial buckling (it does not do flexural torsional buckling). But if you're not using buckling analyses regularly to establish critical buckling loads it would be of limited use to someone I guess.

I really like the code design modules (NZS3404/AS4100, etc), they are great for entering all the restraints and doing sizing of various design options, instantly checking every design member you've created. From memory it will also optimise the design, like selecting the smallest member that works. It's great for scheming up various options, or final verification of a design. Design modules will not however do capacity design, it is just checking the elastic analysis results. So depending on whether you are doing ductile design it may or may not be useful. It allows checking of all the ductile member provisions (at least for NZ steel code), it's just that the design actions are straight from an elastic analysis which is quite the way it's done in practice.

Dynamic frequency analysis and response spectrum module will let you undertake modal analysis, so it's usefulness might depend on whether you have other analysis packages capable of modal analyses (Etabs for example). If you are predominantly doing stick steel industrial type structures it's sort of useful enough. Even without the dynamic frequency analysis package you can report the first three modes as a demo feature. Which for working out the fundamental frequencies is maybe enough for single level structures.

Have cables module, never used it. Only worthwhile if you're designing structures with cables.

Also have the portal builder, which is super useful if you do single level portal type structures, never had a chance to use it. But it seems very powerful for setting up models.

I don't have any experience with the connections design modules, harmonic analysis modules and a few more of the obscure ones.

Definitely consider getting and maintaining the maintenance, it's such a small cost and they are regularly updating and adding features in major releases.

Lastly, I've experienced nothing but excellent support, and like you say they actively develop it and are receptive to adding new features if there is enough interest. Had many conversations in the past with a chap named Peter, he was very helpful to identify and solve some bugs in the software.

This web site is for Space Gass software. You can ask for trial option for 30 days and decide which options that you need. You can go through their video library for the training.

If you are in Australia you can talk to Peter Schulze. You can find the telephone number from the web site.

@Agent666

Do you use SpaceGass for slab design or slab on grade design? Have you tried the slab design modular in Space Gass?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back