Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Space Navigators for $37 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been using for almost two months working fine. No problems and I haven't done anything about downloading drivers other than what it came with.... Gotten a lot of interest from others at the new job....

Merry Christmas Everyone...

Dennis

SolidWorks 2009 SP0
Dell Precision T7400 Xeon 2.5GHz
Windows XP X64 Pro 8GB RAM,
Nvidia Quadro FX4600, Dual 19" widescrn
Dell Optical Mouse, Space Navigator

One of my guys ins using the navigator, haven't heard a complaint yet.

Joe Hasik, CSWP/SMTL
SW 09 x64, SP 1.0
Dell T3400
Intel Core2 Quad
Q6700 2.66 GHz
3.93 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX 4600

I'm just curious. I have never used one of these devices, but so I could be talking out of my arse. It seems like one of these would actually slow me down with the extensive reliance that I have on my keyboard shortcuts and lack of toolbars. If I'm constantly moving my left hand from this to the keyboard wouldn't I see a decrease in productivity? Also, it seems like most of the functionality of these gadgets focuses on panning and zooming which I don't have any problem with now using my Logitech trackball.

Just curious what the advantage (besides having a cool widget and deterring other people from using your system) would be.

Dan

Dan's Blog

I find these specifically handy when mating a large amount of parts, such as hardware, in an assembly.

I bought a space pilot and used it for a while. I wasn't greatly impressed. I also use keyboard shortcuts and the mouse and have gone back to using these.

I tried the Navigator for a while. I'm in the same camp as Dan (Eltron) as far as the keyboard goes. I might be able to use a SpacePilot with all its extra buttons, but the 2 buttons on the Navigator simply don't cut it.

-handleman, CSWP (The new, easy test)

Well--since I've used SW since 1997, I've got a great method of using the keyboard, shortcuts, etc. I navigate with the arrow keys, since that's where I rest my left hand (cordless keyboard and mouse help make this more "ergonomic").

So--unless I'm selecting huge numbers of edges for fillets, huge numbers of faces for draft, or doing the assembly work as rjason71 mentioned above, I really don't use it. (In fact, I've not yet installed mine on this "new" system I built in February!)

For something like Google Earth, however, it's totally amazing. And for the things mentioned above, very handy as well.

Jeff Mowry
A people who value security over freedom will soon find they have neither.

I can understand how it might be seen as a decrease in efficiency at first. I guess it would just depend on the modeling techniques and the operator.
Personally, I started with the spaceball 5000 about 9 yrs ago. I got used to it's programmable buttons after about 3 or 4 days. Now, I'm using the Space Explorer and the only time I touch the keyboard is to enter a dimension.
Having just one of its programmable keys dedicated for, and having the toolbar shortcut menu customized for each SW part, drawing, or assembly is very efficient for me.
I'm at the point now, that when I sit at other users machines, my left hand almost has a mind of it's own - I just can't stop it from trying to find the missing 3D controller. I would feel useless without it now.
Very small investment IMO.

When I first got mine I had trouble using it. After a couple of weeks of honest effort I was about to give up when I switched the default pan/zoom. Within minutes I was flying like a pro. We now have about 50 of these devices in every model made. I watch other users and just the constant motion of the model seems to help think in 3D space. I notice those that don't use the devices are without exception slower than those that do. The puck is about all that is use - the buttons almost not at all. For stuff like fillets, assembly of parts really nice. For things like routed wires almost a necessity. Did I mention the users constantly moving the model around.... ...obviously I'm a true believer in these things helping in spatial perception.

I used the pilot in my last place. Loved the montion but never really used the buttons. In my new place I bought the Navigator. Doing all the zoom rotate and motion with the left hand mouse leaves the right hand mouse free to pick commands and faces. I do not get the ache in my right hand that I used to after a days work without the navigator so for that alone I think it worth the money. Having said that I use icons not Keyboard shortcuts so maybe that needs to be considered

I got a Navigator but found that I was struggling with moving back and forth to hit my hot keys. I found that programing one key to zoom to area combined with zoom to fit key moves me around very fast. There are other keys that I use frequently with my left hand also. The Navigator having only 2 programmable buttons, doesn't give me the option to substitute enough buttons to cover those I use. I was wondering if one with more buttons would be the answer.

I use the Navigator with 2009. I also have extensive hot keys. Depending on what my task is (ie. sketching & detailing) I may not touch the Navigator at all. If I'm mating or tweaking models in an assembly, I may never take my hand off the Navigator. My point is, these devices simply give you an alternative. And for certain tasks, it's an alternative I find difficult to live without. You don't have to keep your hand on it. It doesn't complain if you don't touch it during a day of detailing. For $37, it's worth having it on the desk just to speed up assembly mating and model edits.

FWIW: I have one button programmed to pop-up the "S-Key" toolbar (I had to remap it to the Spacebar). If I'm doing a task where I use the "s-key" toolbar a lot, I hardly ever have to take my hand off the Navigator.

I tried to use one for a few weeks about 4 years ago and then again a couple years ago but could never get use to it. I just use the wheel on my mouse to zoom, pan (I just zoom out and zoom in somewhere else or sometimes us the ctrl key) and rotate. My left hand does keyboard short cuts. It is a method I have grown pretty use to over the last 10 years, it started when I was used Mechanical Desktop 3 and that company did not purchase a spaceball with my workstation. With MD I use to type most of the commands in left handed, I almost never needed to click on an icon. That efficiency almost made up for all the lock ups and crashes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back