Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Spaceball survey question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TateJ

Mechanical
Mar 15, 2002
US
I changed the orientation on mine so that up/down = zoom in/out. I found the default orientation (push/pull = in/out) to be awkward from day one. I met another long-time user at a trade show & she did the same thing for the same reason.

So... Which orientation are you using?

Windows 2000 Professional / Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer
SolidWorks 2006 SP02.0 / SpaceBall 4000 FLX
Diet Coke with Lime / Dark Chocolate
Lava Lamp
www.Tate3d.com

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My initial reaction was also that the defualt zoom was wrong, however I stuck with it and the (pull/push=zoom in/out) now seems completely logical.
I've only had the space traveller about 2 weeks by the way

If you push/pull your mouse... your cursor goes up/down. Think about that for a while.

Lava Lamp
www.Tate3d.com

I've thought about it and yes that's true.......

But if you push/pull your Space Ball/Traveller/Pilot your 3D model is pushed away from you / pulled towards you

SolidWorks 2006 SP3.0
XP Pro
ATI Fire GL V3100

I never thought to change my settings, it was so alien at first. I found that it is much like driving a car with a manual transmission. It may be awkward at first, but becomes second nature with practice.

I leave it at the default because it seems the logical way of using it. To pull an object towards you, you pull the spaceball. To push it away, you push the spaceball.

Flores
SW06 SP3.0

I have my Spaceball 5000 USB set up so that it is just like holding the part instead of the Spaceball. This seems logical to me, but hey, the main thing is to use the thing. I don't know anyone who has made the effort to learn to use the Spaceball, who would let someone take it away!

So nobody else - so far - has switched the orientation...

Here's my "logic"...

If I were to mount my SpaceBall on the face of my monitor - but to the left of it... then my mouse/pad on the face & to the right. Then both devices "orient" the same. The same would be true if my monitor were imbedded in my desk top.

That's why it felt right to make the switch... for me.

And I realize I'm basically re-stating post No 2.

Who else is with me on this?

Lava Lamp
www.Tate3d.com

I've not used a SpaceBall yet, but from the pictures I see of it & the descriptions above, I think the default settings make sense.

To each his own, but your "logic", to my way of thinking, is flawed. Your mouse & SpaceBall are perpendicular to your screen, so why are you visualising them mounted parallel to it?

Imagine that the ball is the part (or that your hand is actually holding the part). You would extend your arm to zoom out & retract it to zoom in closer. Similarly you would raise/lower your hand to look at the upper/lower portions.

The main thing is, whichever way you use it, makes you more comfortable & productive.

[cheers]
Helpful SW websites FAQ559-520
How to get answers to your SW questions FAQ559-1091

I agree that the default settings are correct "intuatively". But we're already programmed for push/pull = up/down for our mouse cursor. It just made sense... apparently I'm all alone. It'd be interesting to study which setting - if any - would shorten the learning curve.

BTW - I'm gonna swing this in my favor by letting all my students try my better orientation. Soon we will out-number you all.
[borg] Resistance is futile [borg2]

Lava Lamp
www.Tate3d.com

TateJ,

Are you left or right handed.

I've no idea of the science, but it seems to me this may determine how we perceive the spaceball settings.

I'm a left hooker by the way.

Right-handed... and I have no idea of how being left-handed would change your perception. You people must be weird...[wink]

We had a guy switch to left-handing his mouse to relieve some carpal tunnel issues. But if you looked at his desk & how he was sitting in general... There were many ergonomic reasons he was having carpal tunnel problems. So it's just a matter of time until he develpos it in his left wrist too.

Lava Lamp
www.Tate3d.com

TateJ ... perhaps you could run a "scientific" test. Have half of your students use the default settings & the other half use your "better" [smile] ones.

[cheers]
Helpful SW websites FAQ559-520
How to get answers to your SW questions FAQ559-1091

I only got the one SpaceBall, so a test won't be practical...[hairpull2]
Lucky for the rest of you... the assimilation will take a little longer.

Lava Lamp
www.Tate3d.com

The default seems perferctly logical to me. It's just as if the ball was the object modeled, Pull it toward you and in comes closer push it away and it gets farther away, twist the ball CW the model rotates CW.

I use the Space traveler, and odly found the default setting (forward & Back) best for zoom in 3D, but switched it for 2D, so moving the controller parallel to the plane of the table pans the drawing, and push / pull zooms... and no, it does not make sense, but why should it - it just is...

Finaly... another forward thinking individual... uGlay [thumbsup2]

Lava Lamp
www.Tate3d.com

I've been using a Spaceball for almost a year and the default setting are logical to me. Same info from Smcadman. By using your logic of imagining the Spaceball on the surface of the monitor means you are changing your X-Axis rotation with respect to the model. Remembering that the ball itself represents the center of the part model, to change that would conflict with the natural order of the universe.

Yanceman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back