Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

span strength of 1" plywood

Status
Not open for further replies.

matlark

Electrical
Feb 24, 2009
US
Hello,

I would like to know if I build a 2'2'96" box out of 1" plywood sheathing (think diy altitude test chamber) would it be able to withstand a 4psi differential. I am looking at testing products at no greater than a simulated 9000 ft.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Matlark:

Dig out your old Strength of Materials text and do a little reading and math. 4psi is 576 lbs./sq.ft. on a 2' span from side to side. What bending stress in 1" thick mat’l.? Then, each sheet also has a 576 lb./ft. of length compressive (column) loading on it. 1" plywd. probably won’t work. You might be better off seeing if you can find a piece of 2 or 2.5' dia. thick walled pipe, 8' long, and putting appropriate ends on that for your test chamber.

A long time ago I was making some vacuum form tooling from plywood. Ended painting the whole thing with a couple of coats of laminating resin. The plywood wouldn't HOLD a vacuum:)

Regards,

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back