Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Spark Plug location on Flathead 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

CSLufkin

Mechanical
Feb 7, 2005
US
I am planning on machining a new Cylinder Head for my son's Pulling Garden Tractor over the winter. It is a single cylinder Kohler Flathead engine. Any thoughts on what is the best location for the Spark Plug? I know some people say it needs to be directly over the Exhaust Valve, some say centered on the piston, any thoughts?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thundair, interesting that you use a Harley coil on a Norton. I had a '69 G15CS that I had put a 4-cylinder car distributor cam into, with two lobes ground off, and firing a Harley coil. The improvement was dramatic to say the least. It used Standard Blue Streak points for a Chevy, too. It started first kick every time, idled consistently, and the points lasted forever.

As far as dual-wire coils, almost all 4-cyl bike engines use two of them, I got a pair for $5 off a Yamaha at a swap meet. Denso makes almost all of them I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back